John Lewis Passes Away At 80

Post deaths of well known public figures here
Slfriend79
Site Admin

John Lewis Passes Away At 80

Postby Slfriend79 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:47 am

John Lewis, US Civil Rights Hero And Democratic Congressman, Dies At 80

John Lewis, the civil rights hero and Democratic congressman, has died at the age of 80.

On Friday night, the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, confirmed Lewis’s death. He had been suffering from pancreatic cancer.

Barack Obama, the first African American president, said Lewis “loved this country so much that he risked his life and his blood so that it might live up to its promise”.

Lewis campaigned for civil rights to the very end of his life. Obama also said it was “fitting that the last time John and I shared a public forum was at a virtual town hall with a gathering of young activists who were helping to lead this summer’s demonstrations in the wake of George Floyd’s death”.

Born to sharecroppers in Troy, Alabama, in February 1940, Lewis became a prominent leader of the civil rights movement in the 1960s. He joined the Freedom Rides that began in 1961, traveling to the south by bus to fight segregation on interstate buses.

A founding member of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, he became its chair in 1963 and helped organise the March on Washington, when Martin Luther King Jr delivered his “I have a dream” speech.

Lewis was the youngest and last survivor of the “Big Six” civil rights activists, a group led by King. When he attended Obama’s inauguration in January 2009, he was the last surviving speaker from the March on Washington. Obama presented Lewis with a commemorative photograph signed “Because of you, John. Barack Obama.” In 2011 he awarded Lewis the presidential medal of freedom.

Read The Full Article Here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... are_btn_tw

"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

AaronCT

Re: John Lewis Passes Away At 80

Postby AaronCT » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:12 am

He was an a American hero who bleed for his country. His voice, his wisdom, and his example will be missed.
"Overcome the angry by non-anger; overcome the wicked by goodness; overcome the miser by generosity; overcome the liar by truth." ~The Buddha

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." ~Mark Twain

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:01 pm

This is exactly the time when we can't afford to be losing these role models. :-(

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

AaronCT

Postby AaronCT » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Marie wrote:This is exactly the time when we can't afford to be losing these role models. :-(

-Marie-

I think the Black Lives Matter movement could certainly benefit from his wisdom. Even if he isn't around anymore at least he's left us a wonderful example.
"Overcome the angry by non-anger; overcome the wicked by goodness; overcome the miser by generosity; overcome the liar by truth." ~The Buddha

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." ~Mark Twain

Return to “RIP”