Wizards of geek, I need your help!

Help With Anything technical Or Forum Related. Geek Squad on call.
Marie
Certified Fan

Wizards of geek, I need your help!

Postby Marie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:37 am

Something is hijacking my browser when I try to use the Google.

Whenever I click on a search result, I'm immediately redirected to another site. (Ostensibly a shopping site, but I think it just wants to load more malware on my computer by getting me to click on something.)

In some cases the computer locks up and I can't close the browser; I have to log off completely to get rid of the website I've been redirected to.

We have Norton and Ad-Aware and it's always kept up to date, yet this bugger still managed to slip though. :x

Does anyone have any experience with Browser Hijacking? If so, please let me know how you solved it.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Wizards of geek, I need your help!

Postby Marie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:10 pm

CWShredder would make a great usename!

Thanks, Michael, I had read a lot about Browser-Hijack. The only thing with that was, a lot of people had interim success with it but the problem came back later.

I think we'll begin with B-H and if the redirect problem returns, we'll have CWShredder to fall back on.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Wizards of geek, I need your help!

Postby Marie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:25 pm

The computer in question has fallen and it can't get up.

It crashed yesterday, from unknown causes.

My husband is very excited as it gives him a complex problem to work on (I told you PC aficionados are masochists!)

I, OTOH, just found it a big fat PITA.

I'm here on a Linux machine until the other one gets repaired, or possibly permanently.

-Marie-

Return to “Forum Help”