My Granddaughter Meggie

Links to Other Websites and Blogs
IrishEyes
Certified Fan

Re: My Granddaughter Meggie

Postby IrishEyes » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:48 am

Heres hoping she has a wonderful journey and a happy homecomeing.

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:22 pm

IrishEyes wrote:Heres hoping she has a wonderful journey and a happy homecomeing.

Thanks Irish and to all of you, you were very supportive. She left yesterday and will be back Feb. of 2011. She went with three cell phones, all the wippies she could get in her bags, chips and stuff, and two care packages are on there way to the people they will be staying with, one for the girls and one for them. She had all her shots, thank god. I have thought of 1000 things I should have said, like don't talk to strangers, keep your shoes on, ware long pants and shirts, use mosquito stuff all the time, etc, on and on. I'm a grandmother!

I watched Who Do You Think You Are last night. Emmit Smith was the person they did the family search for. It was just wonderful. He went back to the Slavery Coast of Africa to find his roots. Gosh his wife is beautiful! But his roots also went back 200 years in America. Very interesting and informative! :grin:
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:29 pm

I also enjoy watching Who do you think you are. It is amazing how small this world really is.

What is your granddaughter going to be doing in Niger? I would love to help in putting together a care package for her about half way through her journey there. Let us know if you don't mind.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:43 am

SusieQ wrote:I also enjoy watching Who do you think you are. It is amazing how small this world really is.

What is your granddaughter going to be doing in Niger? I would love to help in putting together a care package for her about half way through her journey there. Let us know if you don't mind.
That would really be nice SusieQ! Hands ON, I believe that is the name of the project. Meggie and the girls will be doing a lot of things from what I understand. Mostly working with the kids. Just have to wait and see what kind of assigments they are given. Thank you! O:)
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:56 am

Update on Meggie :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Megan is not in Niger, thank God! It is East Africa, not West Africa! DA
Long Weekend Trip

This is her post from:
http://nairobi2010.wordpress.com/
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 am

Michael wrote:My girlfriend runs the Army's AFRICOM Desk -- if there is problem I will get her to send a Raptor to Niger ASAP! :lol:

Michael I did not see your post. Thank you. Until today I have been living with the fact she maybe Megan was in the area where they are killing so many! I don't know why my Teresa told me she was in West Africa, near Niger, but I can only guess it had something to do with her dad! Not the greatest person. She is closer to him than to me. Hope you read Megan's post. I put the URL on here for all to see, as she goes along her journey. She is a really great writer. For 20 years old, I just can't be any prouder.

But thank you so very much Michael for your support and help!! I love you for you being you!
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:45 pm

jwolfbauer wrote:This is her post from:

Ew, I thought I knew what little red ants looked like, but those are positively NEON! You wouldn't catch me holding them in my hand! :shock:

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:22 am

Marie wrote:
jwolfbauer wrote:This is her post from:

Ew, I thought I knew what little red ants looked like, but those are positively NEON! You wouldn't catch me holding them in my hand! :shock:

-Marie-

I won't tell anyone if you don't. 8-[
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:09 am

Michael wrote:
SusieQ wrote:
Michael wrote:My girlfriend runs the Army's AFRICOM Desk -- if there is problem I will get her to send a Raptor to Niger ASAP! :lol:

Ahem. And which girlfriend might that be, Michael?[/quote]
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
The one I am in London with as I type this! :lol:

This is a really nice picture. Hi girlfriend :wave You're up against a lot of women on the site :wink:
Make each other HAPPY! And thank you both.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:02 am

Michael wrote:Doubt Jennifer will be on this site, she is a Republican. :lol: Former Drill Sergeant, dating her is a lot like dating a young hot female R. Lee Ermy. :LMAO

Jennifer looks real familiar to me, just like some one I went to school with. You two look like you are having a great time, maybe you can win her over to the Dems side? :wink:

This is one commerical I like :lol: I remember this guy in a movie with Michael J. Fox about ghosts. He was the military ghost who watched over the cemetery. The movie was a good one and when my Alex was younger she and I would watch it every so often together. Everytime I see this commerical it brings back a memory.

Did you happen to look at Meggies blog? For 20 years old, she is really a smart girl and writes rather well.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 pm

First off, Michael, I thought her name was Barbara. I guess I really am behind the times. I must have blinked at the wrong moment. :lol: Also, how the heck can you be dating a repub? If I had a gag me smilie, I would be using it.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Megin has sent an update on what she has been doing and where she is going. There are more pictures in the Hell's Gate photo link.

Hell's Gate National Park--Picture Background
nairobi2010 | October 7, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Categories: Uncategorized | URL: http://wp.me/p12LEr-2i

While we were in Naivasha we visited Hell’s Gate National Park. There we biked 26 kilometers through beautiful mountains and wildlife, and hiked about 4 kilometers through a gorge. I’ve just added those pictures to the blog and I though that I’d give a little background here that the photos can’t. Naivasha is part of the Great Rift Valley and much of the energy in Kenya comes as thermal energy, particularly from the Naivasha region. In some of the landscape shots from our way out you can see Mount Longonot, a dormant volcano. Throughout the gorge there are many hot springs that are part of this thermal system. The water coming out of them was literally so hot you could see the steam coming from it and sometimes it was even too hot to touch (although I’m a bit of a hot water wimp…). KenGen is one of the largest energy harvesters and they are very visible throughout the small city.

A small portion of the gorge was used to film a fight seen in Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life. We hiked to that spot and in the movie it has been embellished quite a bit. Most of the film was shot in Europe (the UK) and when it cuts to this spot the tree cover has been more than quadrupled. The sky is digitally altered, too, of course. But it was still cool to see and the area is jaw-dropping

The name for the park, Hell’s Gate, came from the explorers who discovered it after the land was won (in the 1880s?) from the Massai, a large cattle-herding nation of nomadic people. A particular formation in the rock, combined with the heat from the springs is how Hell’s Gate was chosen as a name. Because much of Naivasha lies around these hot volcanoes, and the land--including the park--is covered by old volcanic ash and magma, there is a large deposit of unique minerals and rocks, including obsidian. The black rock is all over the ground and road, and when it has been broken in the right direction it is shiny. I grabbed two small pieces to bring home… The obsidian was historically used by the Massai as both tools and weapons (such as arrow heads).

At the campground we stayed at, which butted right up to the water on Lake Naivasha, hippos were common nighttime visitors. These animals are quite aggressive, and luckily the campground had a (puny) fence, but it was a cool thing to see. They didn’t do anything but eat, and getting a picture wasn’t an option, but there were just large lumbering figures that would slowly emerge out of the mist over the water, going about their business. There was a surprising number of them--in a matter of ten minutes we saw around five or six.

There was so much to see in Naivasha, it was absolutely amazing. I’m working on another bit about Naivasha that’s more of a narrative style, but it’s not done yet and I wanted to tell you about this trip before we go on another (!), this week. Saturday I’m accompanying my host family on a two hour car ride (past Naivasha) to Nakuru to watch my host sisters run track, and then on Monday the K crew is heading to Kisumu until Friday. I’m really looking forward to this trip because we’ll be interacting with people much more than we have in the past (and we’re going to Obama’s village!).But if I can I will definitely go back to Naivasha. By far the best place we’ve been yet…
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:42 pm

I just received a post from Megan and this link was in it.
Does anyone believe this S**t or are they just justifying their “mission”?
YWCA denounces racism.
The YWCA’s “Stand Against Racism” initiative is being carried out by more than 75 other YWCAs across the country, and Greenwich marked it Monday with declarations from town leaders.

“There are still some people who believe that only some of us are created equal,” said Adrianne Singer, the YWCA of Greenwich’s president. “There are still some people who believe that hatred is a tool for progress.”
The YWCA effort is a response to the rapid rise in hate groups — a 54 percent increase in the last eight years, Singer said.

U.S. Rep. Jim Himes said state residents may have become complacent, despite the facts that Connecticut is where African captives from the Amistad slave ship won their freedom, and is one of the few states that allow same-sex couples to marry.

“Just when you are tempted to feel that sense of complacency, just when you’re tempted to look back on your history and say, `We do OK here’ — that it’s not our problem, it’s Alabama’s problem, or Wyoming’s problem — that’s the moment when you need a day like this,” Himes said.

A number of town organizations, including the Boys & Girls Club of Greenwich and the United Way of Greenwich, have also signed on to the initiative. The town’s schools marked the day in various ways, including through pledges, designing posters and participating in discussions.

Superintendent of Schools Sidney Freund said people must be vigilant to ensure that those responsible for education view all children equally.

Throw all these idiots out – all of them, Sigmund Freud among them. We are now governed by a black president, elected by a majority of American voters. Anyone who claims that blacks are still suffering under the racist whip of white Americans is either entirely delusional or – gee, do I dare say it? – pandering to black voters. Shame on you, Jim Himes, and shame on you, Mr. Freund. Together, you’re working on the ruination of this country.

It was a day for awareness Monday, as various community groups joined the YWCA of Greenwich at Town Hall in one of its core missions — eliminating racism.

http://christopherfountain.com/2010/04/ ... r-mission/
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm confused. Whose comments are highlighted? Are those your highlighted comments or was that part of the link you got from your granddaughter?
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:25 pm

dejapig wrote:I'm confused. Whose comments are highlighted? Are those your highlighted comments or was that part of the link you got from your granddaughter?

Those were in the link Deja.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

Return to “Other Places To Visit”