My Granddaughter Meggie

Links to Other Websites and Blogs
jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

My Granddaughter Meggie

Postby jwolfbauer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:50 pm

I need prayers and hope from all of you. My granddaughter Meggie leaves for Africa on Friday, for 6 months. She is just 19 years old. She is such a wonderful person and wants to be of help to others, but I'm having a very hard time with this! She is giving up comfort most never had. I don't know how she came to be like me, I don't want her to be like me! It's too scary of a world out there right now. She is a Jr. in college. I'm scared I won't ever see her again.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Re: My Granddaughter Meggie

Postby jwolfbauer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Michael wrote:I have friends who spent years in Kenya and loved it there... what part of Africa?

I don't know! she would not tell me. Michael I'm having a very hard time fuctioning today. What a week! I was traveling and when I got home yesterday, I found out someone had tried to get into the house and then this comes up. All Meggie said was she would be just fine. I wish I could believe that. I think she said there would be about 9 of them going. Where are the safe places in Africa she could go to if she got into trouble, other then the UN Micheal? I'll make my daughter tell me where she is going.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Michael wrote:Why in the world wouldn't she tell you? That isn't very nice.

South Africa is a completely civilized Country, for example. Morrocco is almost and extension of Europe these days. Libya is a very safe Country. Africa is a big place -- It is like saying I am going to "asia". Is that Vietnam or Russia, India, China or Afghanistan? Makes a difference.

I think it is time I went to see her grandfather and insist that she not go, I have until Thursday to do so. But she is 19 and in college. I don't like to interject what I'm feeling on the kids, or make a scene and the fact that my daugher is okay with this is upsetting. I have always tried to stay out of their business because they are adults now, but! What is the best thing to do?
her grandfather must be bankrolling her because how else could she go?
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:06 pm

Janet, before you get too excited about your granddaughter going to South Africa, doesn't it make sense that if your daughter is fine with it, it may not be such a bad thing? Like Michael said, South Africa is very large and it makes a difference where she is going. There are places that are still very British and Brits still go for holiday. I honestly wouldn't worry if there is a group of them and Meggie is a sensible young woman. She has to learn about the world somehow, and isn't this a fantastic opportunity she is getting? Look at it that way. :grin:
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:32 pm

SusieQ wrote:Janet, before you get too excited about your granddaughter going to South Africa, doesn't it make sense that if your daughter is fine with it, it may not be such a bad thing? Like Michael said, South Africa is very large and it makes a difference where she is going. There are places that are still very British and Brits still go for holiday. I honestly wouldn't worry if there is a group of them and Meggie is a sensible young woman. She has to learn about the world somehow, and isn't this a fantastic opportunity she is getting? Look at it that way. :grin:

Thanks for your encouragement SusieQ, and Michaels also. I wish she would have said South Africa. Where in Africa do they need help? My daugher Monica is a material girl! She even got lost in Scotland for a few hours, not remembering the hotel name, thank god there was a cab driver in the city of Inverness where she got lost that helped her for nothing. They just don't seems to see the danger in things. The kids have traveled all over the world, but always with family. I won't be there to protect her.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:50 pm

It sounds like it's not her first rodeo if she has indeed travelled all over the world. Give her the benefit of doubt. And she's 19...nothing would make her more determined to go than somebody forbidding her to do so. You should be glad that your daughter is OK with this...surely that must mean she's not going someplace too dreadful. Besides, she wouldn't have to leave the country to have dire things happen to her. Why not explore and help people in the process? Everyone should travel.

Give her roots and wings--roots for a place to come home to and wings to fly and explore the world. She and the people she meets will be enriched for the contact.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 pm

dejapig wrote:It sounds like it's not her first rodeo if she has indeed travelled all over the world. Give her the benefit of doubt. And she's 19...nothing would make her more determined to go than somebody forbidding her to do so. You should be glad that your daughter is OK with this...surely that must mean she's not going someplace too dreadful. Besides, she wouldn't have to leave the country to have dire things happen to her. Why not explore and help people in the process? Everyone should travel.

Give her roots and wings--roots for a place to come home to and wings to fly and explore the world. She and the people she meets will be enriched for the contact.

Thanks for the encouragement Dej, I don't think she is prepared to handle what she is going to see. Also being an American could hurt her. If I just knew someone in Africa that could look in on the girls, I would feel a whole lot better. Meggie will be missing Christmas with the family and what if she gets sick there? So many questions in my mind. I guess I have to make sure she is taking more than one cell phone with her. Oh god can they use a cell phone in some parts of Africa? i just overwhelmed with the thought of her being so far away.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Janet, you're whipping yourself into a frenzy over a lack of information. Stop playing "what if?" and gather more facts. Cell phones are pretty ubiquitous these days; there aren't many places in the world without "mobile" phones. It also sounds like she has the means to buy good medical care or whatever she requires should the need arise. Missing Christmas with the family is one of those things that often comes with adulthood, but who says Christmas has to be on December 25? Celebrate Christmas whenever y'all are reunited, even if it's February or March or whenever!

As for being an American abroad, when I lived in the Middle East and someone asked me where I was from, I would say North America, kind of implying I could just as easily be Canadian, eh? Who doesn't like Canadians? Just as a precaution against any anti-American sentiment... But really, I never experienced any.

I know it's hard not to worry but try not to borrow trouble--inventing all manner of what-ifs that may never happen. Try this instead: What if she goes and has a great experience that enriches her life and the lives of so many around her? What if she returns to you safely in six months with tons of wonderful stories to tell you about her grand adventure? What if this is what she was meant to do with her life? (It certainly seems like she thinks it may be...)

Get more facts and then focus on the positive aspects of a trip you can't or maybe shouldn't try to change. Think good thoughts, picturing Meggie happy, healthy, enjoying learning about the world and herself in the process. :grin:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:51 am

dejapig wrote:Janet, you're whipping yourself into a frenzy over a lack of information. Stop playing "what if?" and gather more facts. Cell phones are pretty ubiquitous these days; there aren't many places in the world without "mobile" phones. It also sounds like she has the means to buy good medical care or whatever she requires should the need arise. Missing Christmas with the family is one of those things that often comes with adulthood, but who says Christmas has to be on December 25? Celebrate Christmas whenever y'all are reunited, even if it's February or March or whenever!

As for being an American abroad, when I lived in the Middle East and someone asked me where I was from, I would say North America, kind of implying I could just as easily be Canadian, eh? Who doesn't like Canadians? Just as a precaution against any anti-American sentiment... But really, I never experienced any.

I know it's hard not to worry but try not to borrow trouble--inventing all manner of what-ifs that may never happen. Try this instead: What if she goes and has a great experience that enriches her life and the lives of so many around her? What if she returns to you safely in six months with tons of wonderful stories to tell you about her grand adventure? What if this is what she was meant to do with her life? (It certainly seems like she thinks it may be...)

Get more facts and then focus on the positive aspects of a trip you can't or maybe shouldn't try to change. Think good thoughts, picturing Meggie happy, healthy, enjoying learning about the world and herself in the process. :grin:

Okay. I have not cried in front of her and I have tried to be objective when talking with her. I don't want to change her life, I want her to get the most out of all her experiences! I really do. I know she will enrich others, she is that kind of person. Last night my former husband did tell her to say she is from Canada, if she has to, she should use her aunts address. My oldest daughter lives in Canada. And to make sure she hides her passport. One of the Flight Chiefs I know said she should program the UN number into her phones and to tell her friends to do the same. Meggie want to get into politics, this will help her career and who knows she could be the president one day. She is a Democrat to the bone! I'll probably have a list of exits for her and I'm sending her with my mothers ring, for her to focus on, just in case she should get confused. Thanks for your support Dj. I'll see her happy and healthy on Feb 28, 2011!
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:21 pm

jwolfbauer wrote:
dejapig wrote:Janet, you're whipping yourself into a frenzy over a lack of information. Stop playing "what if?" and gather more facts. Cell phones are pretty ubiquitous these days; there aren't many places in the world without "mobile" phones. It also sounds like she has the means to buy good medical care or whatever she requires should the need arise. Missing Christmas with the family is one of those things that often comes with adulthood, but who says Christmas has to be on December 25? Celebrate Christmas whenever y'all are reunited, even if it's February or March or whenever!

Okay. I have not cried in front of her and I have tried to be objective when talking with her. I don't want to change her life, I want her to get the most out of all her experiences! I really do. I know she will enrich others, she is that kind of person. Last night my former husband did tell her to say she is from Canada, if she has to, she should use her aunts address. My oldest daughter lives in Canada. And to make sure she hides her passport. One of the Flight Chiefs I know said she should program the UN number into her phones and to tell her friends to do the same. Meggie want to get into politics, this will help her career and who knows she could be the president one day. She is a Democrat to the bone! I'll probably have a list of exits for her and I'm sending her with my mothers ring, for her to focus on, just in case she should get confused. Thanks for your support Dj. I'll see her happy and healthy on Feb 28, 2011!

Janet - did you ever get it out of her what part of Africa she is going to? My nephew was just at the world cup for 9 weeks. He enjoyed South Africa it was a hell of lot nicer than Kabul.

misslindagene

Postby misslindagene » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Janet, I can certainly understand your concern. But it she is secure in what she wants, it shall be a great adventure....And let's face it, G-D forbid, she could get hit by a car crossing her home town street. I live in Chicago, and I would rather go to Africa than to drive thru the south sided of our city.

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Meggie is going to Niger, West Africa. But, they will be in many towns and villages. They will be staying with some missionary group that have a church there. I know it doesn't matter Whether or not I approve of this trip, but I'm still worried.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:17 pm

jwolfbauer wrote:Meggie is going to Niger, West Africa. But, they will be in many towns and villages. They will be staying with some missionary group that have a church there. I know it doesn't matter Whether or not I approve of this trip, but I'm still worried.

Perfectly normal for a grandma to admire Meggie's impulse to do good, but to still be concerned! I wish her a safe sojourn, Janet.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Michael wrote:My girlfriend runs the Army's AFRICOM Desk -- if there is problem I will get her to send a Raptor to Niger ASAP! :lol:

Ahem. And which girlfriend might that be, Michael? :-k :P
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:26 pm

Marie wrote:
jwolfbauer wrote:Meggie is going to Niger, West Africa. But, they will be in many towns and villages. They will be staying with some missionary group that have a church there. I know it doesn't matter Whether or not I approve of this trip, but I'm still worried.

Perfectly normal for a grandma to admire Meggie's impulse to do good, but to still be concerned! I wish her a safe sojourn, Janet.

-Marie-

Thanks Marie. I want her to have a memorable trip and bring back a lot of interesting things for show and tell. I miss her already. 8-[
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

Return to “Other Places To Visit”