Joe & Mika engaged

Postby Marie » Thu May 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Pass the antiemetics.

From Vanity Fair:
Exclusive: Joe and Mika Are Getting Hitched
By Emily Jane Fox
vanityfair.com
5/3/2017

IT WAS A TOUGH WEEK to sneak away, with Donald Trump careening toward his 100-day milestone, playing a bizarre game of chicken with Kim Jong Un, puzzling over ways to revive his health-care bill and reform the tax code. But Morning Joe co-hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski decided to step off the 24-7 news cycle and jet to Cap D’Antibes on a jaunt that was a bit mysterious, even to Brzezinski.

In some ways, they were an odd couple: Republican former Congressman with daughter of Jimmy’s national security adviser; red-state quarterback live on air with a D.C. heiress. But both feel at home at the center of the Washington echo chamber, both deeply understand power, and, as another national security adviser notably observed, power is the ultimate aphrodisiac. “Media matrimony,” Felix Gillette called it in 2009 story for the New York Observer.

The two are adamant that there was no impropriety in their relationship, that their marriages ended of natural causes. But something shifted about a year and a half ago. In December of 2015, Brzezinski officially split with her ex-husband.

The trip to the Hotel du Cap in Antibes was ostensibly for Brzezinski’s 50th birthday, which was on May 2, but there was a hidden purpose at play. On the final evening of their trip, the couple ascended the hotel’s palatial walkway from the pool and restaurant to its mansion overlooking the Mediterranean. They were en route to the Bellini bar in its lobby when Scarborough paused and stopped Brzezinski. “Halfway up the hill, he said he needed to sit down,” she told me. “His glasses were fogging up he was so nervous," Brzezinski said. Scarborough then plopped down on one knee with an oval-shaped diamond ring set in platinum that he’d been hiding in his suitcase for days and asked her to marry him. “And then he asked, and I said, ‘Absolutely'.”

Scarborough, who said he broached the topic of marriage with Brzezinski casually a few months ago, said it’s been quite a long ride, and an unexpected one, given that he has been married two times before. And days later, they are still somewhat uneasy about their decision to bring their relationship public for the first time. Between them, there are six children, several exes, executives, not to mention their little universe of politics, and their audience.

The couple says they are right now doing a lot of racing around, wondering how to blend their households, where they will find space for their combined three dogs, three cats, two rabbits, and chickens. They have no idea if the news will alter the show’s dynamic now that that alluring, flirty, are-they-aren’t-they tension balloon will be popped for them.

Nor do they know how it will impact the newsroom. As one longtime cable-news executive familiar with conversations within MSNBC told me, this certainly makes managing the show trickier. (MSNBC declined to comment for the story, as it is about the anchors’ personal life.) But for two people whose professional lives have been engulfing, this is one moment when other concerns are central. “We want to spend the rest of our lives together and that’s more important than what management will think and critics will think or anybody else,” Scarborough said.

Wedding plans are still up in the air, too. They have already ruled one idea out, however.

In January, when they went to visit Donald Trump in the White House just a little more than a week after his inauguration, Scarborough and Brzezinski sat down for lunch with the president, Ivanka Trump, and Jared Kushner, ostensibly to talk to their longtime friend about his first week in office and issues related to women. Once the fish and scalloped potatoes had been served, and special sauces delivered directly to Trump were placed on the table, the couple said that the president came up with an idea: If they planned on getting married, they should consider doing so at Mar-a-Lago or the White House, they recalled.

“That’s when Jared interrupted and said, ‘Hey, you know what? I’ve got my license. I could marry you,’” Scarborough said. (A White House spokeswoman had no comment.) According to Scarborough, that’s when Trump snapped from the end of the table, saying: “Why would you marry them? They could have the President of the United States marry them.”

I asked them if they would consider the offer now that they are engaged. “The White House that I grew up in was an amazing place. If it weren’t Trump, it might be something to think about,” Brzezinski said.

“The mental picture is just fascinating, but the reality is just . . . no. No, no, no, no, no.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/05/ ... ka-engaged

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dejapig
Site Admin

Re: Joe & Mika engaged

Postby dejapig » Tue May 16, 2017 5:40 pm

The timing of this was weird to me. The day before they left for a vacation together, Scarborough was a total asshole to Mika on air. He felt like she interrupted him to make a "snotty comment" about Bobby Kennedy. Then once he shut her up, he repeated the same comment. It's more like he was pissed off that she got to say it first. :roll:

But I certainly wish them all the best.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Joe & Mika engaged

Postby Marie » Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 pm

dejapig wrote:The timing of this was weird to me. The day before they left for a vacation together, Scarborough was a total asshole to Mika on air. He felt like she interrupted him to make a "snotty comment" about Bobby Kennedy. Then once he shut her up, he repeated the same comment. It's more like he was pissed off that she got to say it first. :roll:

But I certainly wish them all the best.

One of the aspects of the show that turns me off is precisely that constant personal interplay. He steps on her, she takes passive-aggressive revenge... and on and on it goes. I wish them both luck. too, since he strikes me as the worst kind of sexist.

Recent SNL skit:

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Books, Movies and Other TV”