Outlander

Books, Movies and Other TV
Books, TV and Movies!
JennyB

Outlander

Postby JennyB » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Whose with me?
Whose read the books? and watched the show?

dejapig
Site Admin

Re: Outlander

Postby dejapig » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:03 pm

ME! :ola
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:33 pm

I read somewhere there is going to be a Doctor Who/Outlander crossover planned.

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:11 am

Well, that would be interesting...

There is a bit of a "crossover" already ... Diana Gabaldon was trying to figure out where to set her "practice" novel when she saw someone in a kilt on an episode of Doctor Who. Scotland, it is! she decided. And named Jamie in her book after the Doctor Who character. And the actor who played the Doctor Who Jamie has appeared in a small role in Outlander...
http://zap2it.com/2015/05/doctor-who-jamie-cameo-outlander/
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:09 am

Boy! and to think I was trying to be funny!

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:11 am

Oh Jamie.jpg
Oh Jamie.jpg (8.45 KiB) Viewed 4216 times

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:13 am

more Jamie.jpg
more Jamie.jpg (9.68 KiB) Viewed 4216 times

PhilbertReturns

Postby PhilbertReturns » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:33 pm

I saw the first season. I thought it was good at first but by the time that the two main characters were getting raped by the same maniac, I pretty much checked out. This is nothing more than a bodice-ripper on television.

It's as gorgeous to look at as the lead actress but it's pretty much style over substance.

I'm done.
"That's why I do. I drink...and I knowthings."

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:18 am

It gets better, I wouldn't have stuck with all 8 books if it were just a bodice ripper.
Beside Phil, there is a lot more nasty stuff in Game of Thrones.

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:13 am

Bodice ripper? Bitch please. :roll:

And as Jenny pointed out, there is much worse in Game of Thrones.

This series was more than 20 years in the making as the first book, Outlander, was published in 1991. Gabaldon is still writing the books today. The books are very detailed and rich in characterization, setting, plots and subplots. Ron Moore has done a great job bringing the books to the screen. I get it if it doesn't grab you, but don't be so dismissive of something you've barely taken the time to absorb.

PhilbertReturns

Postby PhilbertReturns » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:57 pm

JennyB wrote:It gets better, I wouldn't have stuck with all 8 books if it were just a bodice ripper.
Beside Phil, there is a lot more nasty stuff in Game of Thrones.

In the books, yes. Not necessarily on the show. HBO has actually toned a lot of the nastier stuff down, believe it or not. I can't compare the two sets of books since I've never read any of the Outlander stuff. I do stand by my characterization of the series though. If it gets better, fine but I don't think I'll be around to see it.

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

PhilbertReturns

Postby PhilbertReturns » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:59 pm

dejapig wrote:Bodice ripper? Bitch please. :roll:

And as Jenny pointed out, there is much worse in Game of Thrones.

This series was more than 20 years in the making as the first book, Outlander, was published in 1991. Gabaldon is still writing the books today. The books are very detailed and rich in characterization, setting, plots and subplots. Ron Moore has done a great job bringing the books to the screen. I get it if it doesn't grab you, but don't be so dismissive of something you've barely taken the time to absorb.

You don't think watching an entire season is enough time to form an opinion? Umm, okay.

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm saying it's like judging Game of Thrones on one season. People who have read the books have a richer context to draw upon when watching the show. Same with Outlander.

PhilbertReturns

Postby PhilbertReturns » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:32 pm

dejapig wrote:I'm saying it's like judging Game of Thrones on one season. People who have read the books have a richer context to draw upon when watching the show. Same with Outlander.

The problem I have with that idea is that you have to draw the line somewhere. With Game of Thrones, I was invested in the series as a whole during the first episode. Certainly by the end of the first season (which IIRC was fewer episodes than S1 of Outlander) I was a full bore fanatic. I have not changed my opinion of that show after five full seasons.

I need to be pulled into a show in order to keep watching it. I would stipulate that you need to give any show these days at least 5-6 episodes to grab you. I gave Outlander a full season. I might watch it again, I probably won't. If I do and decide I like it, I'll be the first to come here and say I was wrong.

On the other hand, after 3 tortuous episodes of "Billions" I doubt I'll even get that far. Bloody hell, how can a show with that caliber of cast be that fcking bad?

](*,)

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:50 pm

I admit Outlander was a verrrrrry slow start for someone who had not read the books. And the books are told from Claire's perspective. I think Ron Moore has done a good job of opening it up for TV, but it still may have limited appeal for some people. Fair enough.

Return to “Books, Movies and Other TV”