"A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving"

Books, Movies and Other TV
Books, TV and Movies!
StevenHW

"A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving"

Postby StevenHW » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:23 am

I was watching the annual TV broadcast of "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving", and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't notice the racial significance of the unfortunate seating arrangements until tonight.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving"

Postby Marie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:03 am

WOW! [-(

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:53 am

I have NEVER like "A Charlie Brown Anything." CB is sad and pathetic and has nasty friends...Lucy. The only redeeming feature is the dog. My kids never liked those shows either, which I found out one Christmas when we were at the SIL's house. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" came on and everybody else was so excited to see it so we stayed to watch. I didn't want to impose my dislike of it on my young sons. In the car on the way home, turns out they didn't like it either and wanted to leave but didn't object to staying because they thought I wanted to see it, LOL!

The moral of the story: USE YOUR WORDS! Communicate! :lol:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:03 pm

dejapig wrote:I have NEVER like "A Charlie Brown Anything." CB is sad and pathetic and has nasty friends...Lucy. The only redeeming feature is the dog. My kids never liked those shows either, which I found out one Christmas when we were at the SIL's house. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" came on and everybody else was so excited to see it so we stayed to watch. I didn't want to impose my dislike of it on my young sons. In the car on the way home, turns out they didn't like it either and wanted to leave but didn't object to staying because they thought I wanted to see it, LOL! . . .

It wasn't really for kids, though. Charles Schultz used the children's words as a way to channel anxieties that grownups were going through, back in the mid-20th century, in order to get them out there where we could deal with them. The idea was that these fears would sound charming and precocious coming from the mouths of babes, and hopefully not so scary when we recognized our own "modern" confusion reflected in the young characters' personalities.

So it doesn't surprise me that your kids didn't go for it. It was sort of over their heads. Except for the dog, as you noted -- everybody relates to Snoopy (and Woodstock)!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

PhilbertReturns

Postby PhilbertReturns » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:26 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't make too much of that. I think this was done in the 60s-I know "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown" came out 10 months after I was born. A lot has changed since then.

Then again, a lot hasn't :-(
"That's why I do. I drink...and I knowthings."

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:17 pm

PhilbertReturns wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't make too much of that. I think this was done in the 60s-I know "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown" came out 10 months after I was born. A lot has changed since then.

And then there's a lot that had changed -- but then the right wing turned back the clock. That's the part that's really discouraging: having to conquer the same territory all over again.

-Marie-

PhilbertReturns

Postby PhilbertReturns » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Marie wrote:
PhilbertReturns wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't make too much of that. I think this was done in the 60s-I know "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown" came out 10 months after I was born. A lot has changed since then.

And then there's a lot that had changed -- but then the right wing turned back the clock. That's the part that's really discouraging: having to conquer the same territory all over again.

-Marie-

Sad but very, very true.
"That's why I do. I drink...and I knowthings."

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

Return to “Books, Movies and Other TV”