How many 'Books that Shaped America' have you read?

Books, Movies and Other TV
Books, TV and Movies!
Marie
Certified Fan

How many 'Books that Shaped America' have you read?

Postby Marie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:47 pm

New exhibit at the Library of Congress:
"This list of ‘Books That Shaped America’ is a starting point. It is not a register of the ‘best’ American books--although many of them fit that description. Rather, the list is intended to spark a national conversation on books written by Americans that have influenced our lives, whether they appear on this initial list or not," said Librarian of Congress James H. Billington. "We hope people will view the list and then nominate other titles. Finally, we hope people will choose to read and discuss some of the books on this list, reflecting our nation’s unique and extraordinary literary heritage, which the Library of Congress makes available to the world."

Members of the public are encouraged to comment on the books in this exhibition in a survey on the Library’s National Book Festival website (http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/) and to nominate other titles for subsequent additions to "Books That Shaped America." [NOTE: books must be copyrighted no later than 2002.]

Curators and experts from throughout the Library of Congress contributed their choices for "Books That Shaped America," but there was much debate in having to cut worthy titles from a much larger list in order to accommodate the physical restrictions of the exhibition space. Some of the titles on display have been the source of great controversy, even derision, in U.S. history. Nevertheless, they shaped Americans’ views of their world and the world’s views of America.

List of books on display, with summaries: http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2012/12-123.html
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

JennyB

Re: How many 'Books that Shaped America' have you read?

Postby JennyB » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 pm

I've read 26 of them..

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 pm

JennyB wrote:I've read 26 of them..

Wow!

I haven't read that many. Just 18.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:25 pm

I read almost all of them between middle school and high school. I especially loved Steinbech.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:39 am

JennyB wrote:I read almost all of them between middle school and high school. I especially loved Steinbech.

He had so much heart for the working man. I saw Grapes of Wrath in movie form, but was curious about East of Eden and read that instead.

Mockingbird and Catcher I read in 10th, Streetcar in 11th, Gatsby in college. C-SPAN had a great books list a few years ago that my husband & I were going to read and take part in the discussion, but they went too fast and we couldn't keep up. Nevertheless, we covered quite a number of those -- including the Benjamin Franklin autobio and Huckleberry Finn.

So mine have been scattered across the years.

(I would have expected to encounter many of them in lit and other courses, but such was not the case.)

-Marie-

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:26 am

I read Gone with the Wind when I was in my early 20's. I had a great English Teacher in High school she had us reading....
When my son was in 1st grade I read him Huck Finn, I had an older version of the book not one of those cleaned up for a kid versions. I censored it a bit as I read it to him, he's also read several Jules Verne books and he's read Mobby Dick, in fact we read it together and then he went back and read it on his own.
Soon I'll get him started on Steinbeck, maybe Cannery Row to begin with...

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 am

Pretty sophisticated kid! How old is he now?

-Marie-

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 am

Marie wrote:Pretty sophisticated kid! How old is he now?

-Marie-

he'll be 14 in February..

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:03 am

Well, he's obviously been reading way above his grade level for a long time. Probably because you read to him.

-Marie-

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 am

Marie wrote:Well, he's obviously been reading way above his grade level for a long time. Probably because you read to him.

-Marie-

Oh yeah, but surprisingly there are other kids in his class who read way more...
A few years ago the School Districts Superintendent decided that for the summer ready list it had to be about 90% classics and only one or two more modern books.
When my son was leaving 6th grade going into 7th he brought home for his summer reading The Odyssey, I was thrilled.... After 3 pages he took it back...

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Hmm... Homer. Pretty heavy going for a school-age kid. (We got it in the 8th grade and I found it deadly.) Although most kids that age love Greek & Roman and Scandinavian myths and legends. They simply may not be ready to read Beowulf in the original -- just ready to hear the story retold in more contemporary language. (Or turned into a video game, LOL.)

I gotta give your child big ups for being able to make it through Melville!

-Marie-

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Marie wrote:Hmm... Homer. Pretty heavy going for a school-age kid. (We got it in the 8th grade and I found it deadly.) Although most kids that age love Greek & Roman and Scandinavian myths and legends. They simply may not be ready to read Beowulf in the original -- just ready to hear the story retold in more contemporary language. (Or turned into a video game, LOL.)

I gotta give your child big ups for being able to make it through Melville!

-Marie-

He read a cut down version of M.D., I think they threw Odyssey on the list because of the popularity of the Percy Jackson books.

BTW after the first year or so with the new reading list a lot of parents complained that their weren't enough contemporary books so slowly they have been adding them. My son's just a Jules Vern fan he's read journey to the center of the earth like 3 or 4 times already...

I'm happy this year in World Civ he will be going over the Black Plague... Year of Wonders here we come...

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 pm

When he was like 4 I read him Last of the Mohicans and then he took the Indian out of his Lincoln Logs set and named him Chingchuk. When he out grew them I made sure I put it away for him to remember.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:36 pm

JennyB wrote:When he was like 4 I read him Last of the Mohicans and then he took the Indian out of his Lincoln Logs set and named him Chingchuk. When he out grew them I made sure I put it away for him to remember.

Aw. :-)

Saw the film version on TCM recently.

What you said also made me think of The Indian in the Cupboard. Was really getting off on the flick until they foolishly inserted that part where the boy angrily kicks the ball with the rat inside, and I thought, "Okay, you just violated your own depiction of the boy because the kid you presented would NEVER treat an animal like that -- even one he hated because it wouldn't survive." But up to that point I was completely charmed. (End of digression. :grin:)

He'll love the Black Plague. That's one way to keep kids riveted on the history lesson -- take a tip from Stephen King. Next up: the Spanish Inquisition!

-Marie-

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:03 pm

I loved Mel Brooks as Torquemada... Bring in the Nuns!!!!!

Return to “Books, Movies and Other TV”