Charlie Rose & Robert Caro

Books, Movies and Other TV
Books, TV and Movies!
BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Charlie Rose & Robert Caro

Postby BrooklynBilly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm currently watching a fascinating interview of Robert Caro, LBJ's biographer, by Charlie Rose. If you have a chance to catch it do so.(I'm sure it'll be repeated) The part about Johnson's assumption of the presidency and the events of November 22, 1963 are incredibly interesting.
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Charlie Rose & Robert Caro

Postby Marie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:21 pm

I've heard Caro on C-SPAN & C-SPAN2 several times. I don't think there's anything about Lyndon that he doesn't know. :-)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Read the book. The important point Caro makes is that JFK never would have gotten elected without Johnson on the ticket. Ike had made inroads into the Southern states, and LBJ moved them back into the Democratic column.

It also made me sad. LBJ's one of the most tragic Presidents in US history. He could have been the second FDR.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:05 am

dnkoa wrote:Read the book. The important point Caro makes is that JFK never would have gotten elected without Johnson on the ticket. Ike had made inroads into the Southern states, and LBJ moved them back into the Democratic column.

It also made me sad. LBJ's one of the most tragic Presidents in US history. He could have been the second FDR.

IKR. He was a ruthless negotiator but he kicked ass to help people.

It was that damned war.

That's why this era, overshadowed by unnecessary wars that we can't seem to get free of, feels so sadly familiar. Viet Nam and this era's two wars were ideologically motivated. All are long twilight struggles with aftermaths that will burden the country with debt and forgotten and unappreciated veterans for decades to come. All have drained off resources and distracted presidents attempting to deal with pressing domestic challenges.

Now we have a candidate who's being advised by those who want yet another war. I don't know how they can look at history and even think of such a thing.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Books, Movies and Other TV”