Just finished reading 'Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter'

Books, Movies and Other TV
Books, TV and Movies!
Marie
Certified Fan

Just finished reading 'Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter'

Postby Marie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:55 pm

*NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW*

I already was a fan of the Seth Grahame-Smith's "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," and so couldn't wait to get my hands on this book as soon as I heard about it.

It did not disappoint! So well researched, it's hard to know where history ends and fiction begins, not to mention the author's engrossing writing style, kept me turning the pages -- right up to the surprise twist at the end.

If you're looking for a book that's hard to put down and this sort of literature is to your taste, by all means pick this one up!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dnkoa

Re: Just finished reading 'Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter'

Postby dnkoa » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:56 am

I want to read the book. The movie looks TERRIBLE. A good lesson I think that abstract ideas work better on page than screen.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:06 am

dnkoa wrote:I want to read the book. The movie looks TERRIBLE. A good lesson I think that abstract ideas work better on page than screen.

Like you, I'm prepared to be disappointed by the film -- although I may watch, just to see how it compares with the book.

I was much more excited when it was announced that the zombie book would be made into a film (don't know how that troubled project stands at the moment). It would easily lend itself to a Johnny Depp sort of tongue-in-cheek treatment b/c that is how the book is. And the fights are described move for move, as if the author expected them to be shot some day and wanted to be sure they'd be done as he visualized them!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 am

The author wrote the adaptation of the screenplay for Lincoln. The problem with the movie, judging by the trailer, is that it misses the deadpan humor and just plays it like a dumb action picture.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:32 am

dnkoa wrote:The author wrote the adaptation of the screenplay for Lincoln. The problem with the movie, judging by the trailer, is that it misses the deadpan humor and just plays it like a dumb action picture.

See, that describes exactly why I'm so often disappointed in film adaptations: whatever subtle thing made the book so wonderful -- that's what Hollywood misses. Worst example in my lifetime: Spielberg's interp of The Color Purple; what a great opportunity blown.

There are some great film adaptations, so I'm not saying they can't do it. But I think whoever is envisioning the adaptation has to be a reader first & foremost -- b/c you can't bring to the screen what you didn't grasp in the first place, no?

-Marie-

Return to “Books, Movies and Other TV”