Lady Gaga Doesn't Like "Weird Al" Yankovic Take On Her Song

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Lady Gaga Doesn't Like "Weird Al" Yankovic Take On Her Song

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Lady Gaga won't let "Weird Al" Yankovic "Perform This Way"

In case you haven’t heard, we as a culture are back to hating Lady Gaga this week, thanks to her teary assertions that her latest single, “Judas,” was sent to her by God, her refusal to acknowledge the similarities between “Born This Way” and “Express Yourself,” and a hilariously bad (and meme-worthy) album cover. But she may have crossed a line with her latest exploit: refusing pop-music patron saint “Weird Al” Yankovic.

According to a lengthy post on Weird Al’s blog, Gaga wouldn’t give permission for him to release the parody “Perform This Way”—a hiccup that has subsequently delayed the release of Yankovic’s upcoming album. Weird Al has historically always sought (and received) permission for his parodies, presumably expecting that most pop stars, regardless of how notorious their three-year careers have been, are willing to defer to his three-decades-plus track record of musical success and being a generally awesome and beloved figure. But apparently this is one of Madonna’s footsteps Gaga isn’t willing to follow in, even after Weird Al offered to donate all proceeds from the song and video to the Human Rights Campaign.

But “Perform This Way” is not lost to the ages, because, in Weird Al’s words, “Of course I will respect Gaga’s wishes. However, given the circumstances, I have no problem with allowing people to hear it online, because I also have a personal policy not to completely waste my stinking time.” Give it a listen and shed a single tear for what would have surely been an amazing accompanying music video.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/lady-gag ... his,54870/
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Lady Gaga Doesn't Like "Weird Al" Yankovic Take On Her S

Postby Marie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:34 am

Skirt steak! :lol:

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Lady Gaga had given Weird Al's parody a 'Thumbs Up'. [smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_02.gif]

GAGA UPDATE!

Well, this was a strange day.

After putting my Lady Gaga parody on YouTube this morning – and announcing that it wouldn’t be on my next album because Gaga didn’t approve it – there was a huge outpouring of disappointment from the Internet.

Apparently the fact that she didn’t approve it was news to Lady Gaga herself!

Gaga’s manager has now admitted that he never forwarded my parody to Gaga – she had no idea at all. Even though we assumed that Gaga herself was the one making the decision (because, well, that’s what we were TOLD), he apparently made the decision completely on his own.

He’s sorry.

And Gaga loves the song.

I’m thrilled on many levels to hear this, because 1) I truly respect and admire Gaga as an artist and it pained me to think of her as having less than a great sense of humor, and 2) it means I GET TO PUT OUT MY ALBUM!

As promised, all my proceeds from the song (and the MUSIC VIDEO… I can’t wait…) will go to the Human Rights Campaign.

Thank you, Gaga. And thanks to everybody who had my back.

Whew!

Your pal,
Al

http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/gaga-update/
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Return to “Music”