10 Bands that Shook the World

Rich C

10 Bands that Shook the World

Postby Rich C » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Here is an interesting AOL..I mean Huffpo article on 10 Bands that shook the world http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-poll ... 19903.html

They are as follows:

Beatles
Rolling Stones
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Beach Boys
Doors
U2
Nirvana
Grateful Dead

Now this list may be arguable but I came up with 10 more bands that shook the world. They are:

Cream
Black Sabbath
KISS
Rush
Judas Priest
Metallica
Guns N' Roses
Rage Against the Machine
Van Halen
AC/DC

Now see what 10 Bands you come up with

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: 10 Bands that Shook the World

Postby Marie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Van Halen is one of the all-time great bands. They created a new sound -- like a big freight train coming right at you.

My sentimental favorite is Bad Company. They didn't invent anything new; in fact they mostly just sound like a great bar band. But they have Paul Rodgers as their vocal lead, which makes all the difference!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

RareBird
Certified Fan

Postby RareBird » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 am

Shook the world? Led Zeppelin? Black Sabbath? Guns 'N Roses? Van Halen?

Alright--maybe they "rocked YOUR world". But these guys didn't do much more than show that there is a big market for empty calories.

The best in no particular order:

The Beatles
The Beach Boys
The Kinks
XTC
The Clash
Jimi Hendrix
The Who
Pink Floyd
Elvis Costello
Rolling Stones (barely)

Rich C

Postby Rich C » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 am

RareBird wrote:Shook the world? Led Zeppelin? Black Sabbath? Guns 'N Roses? Van Halen?

Alright--maybe they "rocked YOUR world". But these guys didn't do much more than show that there is a big market for empty calories.

The best in no particular order:

The Beatles
The Beach Boys
The Kinks
XTC
The Clash
Jimi Hendrix
The Who
Pink Floyd
Elvis Costello
Rolling Stones (barely)

Okay Rare Bird...I respect the fact that you have different musical tastes than I do. With that to call ground breaking bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Van Halen "empty calories" is ridiculous. These bands are staples on Classic Rock Radio for a reason. When was the last time you heard an XTC tune on the radio? Nothing against them but they were not really influencial and caused a major shift in the music world.

Also another note...today's music sucks and I can't stand "autotuning vocals". That's why you don't see bands on the original list or my list that came around after 2000.

Rich C

Postby Rich C » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 am

Michael wrote:
Rich C wrote:
Also another note...today's music sucks and I can't stand "autotuning vocals". That's why you don't see bands on the original list or my list that came around after 2000.

Or maybe you just got old and out of touch with what's out there. :lol:

Call it that (and yes it's generational) but all these "artists" today are prefabricated with no innovation whatsoever. I guess it what's sells. :roll:

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Michael wrote:I am just sayin' -- Middle aged people have been saying the new music the kids are listening to is crap since around 1850... :lol: of course you are correct, but not your parents, grandparents or great grandparents... :P

I still find fantastic music out there that is nothing like you describe.

Me, too! Radio programmers are lazy, but every now and again they make a mistake and stumble onto something exciting going on in the music world. And it may even be popular -- that's another myth that people have clung to for decades: that popular music can't be groundbreaking.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Michael wrote:I don't know enough about rap to point out who created that pivot point, but some guy with gold chains did it. . . .

This is the earliest one I remember, but I'm sure rappers credit an earlier one.

-Marie-

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Saying Black Sabbath is "empty calories" in the context of saying the Kinks were great is just wrong. Like it or not, Black Sabbath created an entirely new form and style of music, in as single-handedly a fashion as is possible the world of music. The Kinks and others listed as I guess "full calorie" bands were in many cases as simple or simpler than Black Sabbath and infinitely less original.
"Debating [Brooklyn] Billy is a bit like pissing in the wind-sure you can technically do it...but what's the point?" - Philbert

"I take my role as a troll very seriously, a good part of that job is to be irritating." - Brooklyn Billy

http://www.dailykos.com/user/ProgressivePatriotPA/

http://www.twitter.com/progpatriotpa/

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Rich C wrote:Here is an interesting AOL..I mean Huffpo article on 10 Bands that shook the world http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-poll ... 19903.html

They are as follows:

Beatles
Rolling Stones
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Beach Boys
Doors
U2
Nirvana
Grateful Dead

This list seriously makes me want to puke. I guess by "shook the world" they mean "sold a lot of records." The Rolling Stones right next to The Who as if each were equally original makes me wanna fucking barf. The Beach Boys? U2? These are the most earth-shaking bands? Give me a fucking break. It is so frustrating that it's acceptable to view music this way. Yes, I'm highly opinionated about this.
"Debating [Brooklyn] Billy is a bit like pissing in the wind-sure you can technically do it...but what's the point?" - Philbert

"I take my role as a troll very seriously, a good part of that job is to be irritating." - Brooklyn Billy

Rich C

Postby Rich C » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:25 am

You are probably one of the few people that hate the Rolling Stones. Again we all have musical tastes.

I am with you on Black Sabbath but don't knock the Kinks. They were the forerunners of what we know today as "hard rock". Their early tunes like "You Really Got Me" and "All of the Day and All of the Night" were then classified as "Power Cord Rock". Of course later on they changed midstream. And remember Van Halen's first big hit record was a cover of "You Really Got Me".

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Philbert wrote:
keithaddict wrote:This list seriously makes me want to puke. I guess by "shook the world" they mean "sold a lot of records." The Rolling Stones right next to The Who as if each were equally original makes me wanna fucking barf. The Beach Boys? U2? These are the most earth-shaking bands? Give me a fucking break. It is so frustrating that it's acceptable to view music this way. Yes, I'm highly opinionated about this.

Dude, you did NOT just diss the Stones, did you?

[-X

And I hate the damned Beach Boys.

Rich C wrote:You are probably one of the few people that hate the Rolling Stones. Again we all have musical tastes.

I am with you on Black Sabbath but don't knock the Kinks. They were the forerunners of what we know today as "hard rock". Their early tunes like "You Really Got Me" and "All of the Day and All of the Night" were then classified as "Power Cord Rock". Of course later on they changed midstream. And remember Van Halen's first big hit record was a cover of "You Really Got Me".

Haha I didn't mean to insult the Rolling Stones, I don't hate them or anything, I just don't enjoy them nearly as much as The Who because I think they were much less original. Putting them right next to each other on a list of bands that revolutionized music makes no sense to me. Same with The Kinks, I harbor no ill-will towards them, I was just pointing out that calling Black Sabbath essentially garbage while praising The Kinks doesn't make much sense if you're taking originality into consideration while determining the list of bands who "shook the world."

Houndfan

Postby Houndfan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33 pm

I can't believe nobody mentioned The Ramones so I will. The Sex Pistols and The Clash were also great bands. They came out at a time
when disco bands were putting out albums with only 4 or 5 songs and 12 inch dance singles, which would be one song going on and on until
you could hang yourself. The Ramones showed you could have powerful rock songs without ten minute guitar solos, glitter all over your face
and/or platform boots.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Houndfan wrote:I can't believe nobody mentioned The Ramones so I will. The Sex Pistols and The Clash were also great bands. They came out at a time
when disco bands were putting out albums with only 4 or 5 songs and 12 inch dance singles, which would be one song going on and on until
you could hang yourself. The Ramones showed you could have powerful rock songs without ten minute guitar solos, glitter all over your face
and/or platform boots.

Every time art gets too florid, new artists arrive to strip it down to its basic elements again.

Important additions to the list, Houndfan. Thanks!

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, Houndfan! :wave

The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" was my ringtone, until I changed phones and haven't figured out how to get it back... :?
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 pm

The Ramones, The Clash, and The Sex Pistols are all already in the rock and roll hall of purely subjective nonsense comprised of non-musicians.

Bands with simple music who are popular have no problem at all getting in, it's bands that don't fit one or either of those descriptions that are unfairly omitted.

Here's the letter the Sex Pistols wrote to the r/r hall of crap when they were inducted and invited to perform, which I fully endorse:

Return to “Music”