Pete Seeger's 90th birthday concert

terryballard

Pete Seeger's 90th birthday concert

Postby terryballard » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:13 pm

sunday May 3 at the Garden. I can't believe that I can't get my wife to go to this:

Seeger, Springsteen, Dave Matthews, Steve Earle, Arlo Guthrie, Tom Paxton, Tom Chapin, Emilou Harris, Bruce Cockburn, Richie Havens. A lot of these people we've seen already, but this sounds like a major karmic overload. I'm nicknaming it "Oldstock." She says "Go yourself." Maybe I will.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
The Grateful Dead

dejapig
Site Admin

Re: Pete Seeger's 90th birthday concert

Postby dejapig » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:59 pm

TOM CHAPIN??? I love him! I used to watch his kids' program, Make a Wish, long after I was a kid. :wink: One of the best concerts I've ever been to was with all 3 Chapin brothers--Tom, Harry, Steve--in Phoenix. Had to have been in the '70s sometime. Yikes! Nearly 40 years ago? Terry, you might remember the Travelodge Theatre. It was a theater-in-the-round, very small. It was like watching a concert in your living room. Damn! If I could be in NY on May 3, I'd go with you Terry!
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:13 pm

You have got to be freaking kidding me! He is 90 years old?!! Man, I wish him many happy birthdays to come and continued good health. I saw a picture of him recently and he looks fantastic. That sounds like a great show, Terry. You should go.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

terryballard

Postby terryballard » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 pm

dejapig wrote:TOM CHAPIN??? I love him! I used to watch his kids' program, Make a Wish, long after I was a kid. :wink: One of the best concerts I've ever been to was with all 3 Chapin brothers--Tom, Harry, Steve--in Phoenix. Had to have been in the '70s sometime. Yikes! Nearly 40 years ago? Terry, you might remember the Travelodge Theatre. It was a theater-in-the-round, very small. It was like watching a concert in your living room. Damn! If I could be in NY on May 3, I'd go with you Terry!

We loved that show too. Felt bad that our son grew up without being able to see it on video. Once we saw Chapin at a book signing on Long Island and asked him about that. He said that it was tied up in legal mumbo jumbo. I remember that theater well - on 32nd st. I think. Saw lots of John Stewart concerts there and Richie Havens as well. If you were in PNX in the late 1980s you might remember an Irish act called Celtic Pride. Just unearthed a video of them playing the Scottsdale Arts festival and put it on YouTube.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
The Grateful Dead

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Was taken to see him in concert as a birthday present in 1970. :shock:
I got to go backstage to meet him. He's so tall, I felt like I came up to about his belt buckle, LOL.

One of the inspirational figures of my generation. I'd give my left arm to see that concert. Happy birthday, Pete!

Pete's banjo, inscribed, "This machine surrounds hate and forces it
to surrender."

-Marie-
PS, anyone who goes, please take lots of pictures and post them!
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:57 am

terryballard wrote:
dejapig wrote:TOM CHAPIN??? I love him! I used to watch his kids' program, Make a Wish, long after I was a kid. :wink: One of the best concerts I've ever been to was with all 3 Chapin brothers--Tom, Harry, Steve--in Phoenix. Had to have been in the '70s sometime. Yikes! Nearly 40 years ago? Terry, you might remember the Travelodge Theatre. It was a theater-in-the-round, very small. It was like watching a concert in your living room. Damn! If I could be in NY on May 3, I'd go with you Terry!

We loved that show too. Felt bad that our son grew up without being able to see it on video. Once we saw Chapin at a book signing on Long Island and asked him about that. He said that it was tied up in legal mumbo jumbo. I remember that theater well - on 32nd st. I think. Saw lots of John Stewart concerts there and Richie Havens as well. If you were in PNX in the late 1980s you might remember an Irish act called Celtic Pride. Just unearthed a video of them playing the Scottsdale Arts festival and put it on YouTube.

Yes, 32nd Street is where it was! I moved from Phoenix to Houston in 1979 but I'll check out the video on YouTube.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

terryballard

Postby terryballard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:39 am

dejapig wrote:

Yes, 32nd Street is where it was! I moved from Phoenix to Houston in 1979 but I'll check out the video on YouTube.

News alert - I won. We're going! Even on StubHub, the nosebleed seats are under $40. It was a combination of grovelling, reminders that I have a birthday coming up in a few months, and a blood oath that I will not even talk about another concert until 2010.

The beginning set of the Celtic Pride concert is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbNJMgnaPT0 . If you love Irish music, you can't miss.

We also saw Van Morrison at the Star Theater, but ended up being more impressed with his opening act - Etta James.
The Grateful Dead

terryballard

Postby terryballard » Mon May 04, 2009 8:24 am

Marie wrote:Was taken to see him in concert as a birthday present in 1970. :shock:
I got to go backstage to meet him. He's so tall, I felt like I came up to about his belt buckle, LOL.

One of the inspirational figures of my generation. I'd give my left arm to see that concert. Happy birthday, Pete!

to surrender."

-Marie-

We had not-so-great seats, and the still pictures didn't work at all. Got what would have been a nice 1 minute clip of Springsteen singing "Tom Joad's Ghost," but the sound was nearly non-existent for some reason. However, I got a really nice 50 seconds of the finale with Seeger, Springsteen, Joan, Baez, Dave Matthew, Del McCoury, The Preservation Jazz band and many, many others singing "This land is your land."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYHaA7scok
The Grateful Dead

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Mon May 04, 2009 8:27 am

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon May 04, 2009 11:32 am

terryballard wrote:
Marie wrote:Was taken to see him in concert as a birthday present in 1970. :shock:

to surrender."

-Marie-

We had not-so-great seats, and the still pictures didn't work at all. Got what would have been a nice 1 minute clip of Springsteen singing "Tom Joad's Ghost," but the sound was nearly non-existent for some reason. However, I got a really nice 50 seconds of the finale with Seeger, Springsteen, Joan, Baez, Dave Matthew, Del McCoury, The Preservation Jazz band and many, many others singing "This land is your land."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYHaA7scok
Oh, Terry, that must have been so inspirational! I love how Pete calls out each line of the song ahead of time, so people can sing the lesser-known verses!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

terryballard

Postby terryballard » Mon May 04, 2009 12:15 pm

Marie wrote:Oh, Terry, that must have been so inspirational! I love how Pete calls out each line of the song ahead of time, so people can sing the lesser-known verses!

-Marie-

Let's just say that I'm glad my wife packed a lot of Kleenex.
The Grateful Dead

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 pm

terryballard wrote:
Marie wrote:Oh, Terry, that must have been so inspirational! I love how Pete calls out each line of the song ahead of time, so people can sing the lesser-known verses!

-Marie-

Let's just say that I'm glad my wife packed a lot of Kleenex.

Aww. I'm glad you had a wonderful time, Terry. :grin:
-John Kenneth Galbraith

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Mon May 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Another song for Terry. " Where have all the flowers gone?"

-John Kenneth Galbraith

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marie
Certified Fan

Pete on The Colbert Report!!!

Postby Marie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Pete guested on Colbert tonight. He played and sang after the interview.

93 years old and he still sings, plays and chops wood to heat his house with!

You can catch re-airs of the show at 1:30am and 10am later this morning (Tues.), and 7:30pm tonight.

-Marie-

proudliberal

Postby proudliberal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 pm

I don't have that kind of energy now, let alone if I get to 93! :lol:
Necessity is the mother of invention. We don't know who the father is, because Necessity gets around alot.

Return to “Music”