The NOW PLAYING Thread

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: The NOW PLAYING Thread

Postby Marie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:06 pm

This is a pretty song about a girl named Darcy Farrow:

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:53 am

Lovely harp piece, Morrowind.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:12 am

Fitz & the Tantrums "Don't Gotta Work It Out" (from New Amsterdam vodka ad)

-Marie-

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:46 am

Peter Gabriel - Modern Love:

" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:33 pm

Fusion extravaganza! The familiar Mexican standard "Cielito Lindo" is played on a Celtic harp by a pretty Japanese lady. The tender rendition gives way to two lively songs in which she ably holds her own with a pair of Mariachi guitarists, before returning to the first song again. The audience sings along with the chorus.

-Marie-

Badmojo

Postby Badmojo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:56 pm

I was going to post a different song from Dave Rawlings machine but then I came across this gem:

Going to California with John Paul Jones.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Badmojo wrote:Going to California with John Paul Jones.

I love a good mandolin. And what'll you bet that song started out as an acoustic piece. :-)

-Marie-

Badmojo

Postby Badmojo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Marie wrote:
Badmojo wrote:Going to California with John Paul Jones.

I love a good mandolin. And what'll you bet that song started out as an acoustic piece. :-)

-Marie-

It's always been an accoustic though there are some echoing effects on Robert Plant's voice. I tend to think Zeppelin's best material was accoustic. Led Zeppelin 3...wow.

For some non-accoustic fare we have St. Vincent on the Jools Holland show (I wish we had something like this here) performing Northern Lights. Annie Clark the singer recently played with Nirvana during their RRHF induction.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue May 20, 2014 3:10 am

Images of Aurora.

This brings out the little girl in me! :-)

Guess I'll never outgrow Disney --

PS, the image you see there in the viewer before you click 'Start' is by the famous illustrator Jon Whitcomb, who was commissioned to paint a cover for a children's book edition (like Little Golden Books but not) of Disney's Sleeping Beauty. In ads and magazine illustrations, his signature is always very visible -- but notice it is nowhere to be seen on that book cover. Nobody competes with Walt Disney Productions! :wink:

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:48 am

A stirring march by Gustav Holst, who also wrote "The Planets." I wish I could find the recording I grew up with, but this version is pretty amazing, too!

Holst: First Suite for Military Band in E-flat, 3rd movement: March

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:58 am

Into jazz? I don't know how to express how much fun the following cut is, except to say that it brings back memories of my dad whistling. He was the most inventive jazz whistler I ever heard. Only did it when he was by himself, for example out in the garage working on some cabinets, cuz woodworking made him very happy, and he'd start whistling these amazing jazz variations while he worked. The man couldn't read a note of music but he could play just about anything by ear. I frequently kick myself for not having made some recordings. It'd be a treat to hear him again. Anyway, the following brilliant performance of a wickedly difficult jazz piece, which began as a movie standard, brought back those memories...

Bill Evans, piano; Eddie Gomez, string bass

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 pm

For LeBron -- Booker T: Comin' Home, Baby

-Marie-

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am

"Weird Al" Yankovic's TACKY (Happy Parody) - Official Music Video:

" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 pm

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Word Crimes:

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:10 pm

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Foil:

Return to “Music”