The NOW PLAYING Thread

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: The NOW PLAYING Thread

Postby Marie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:59 pm

This is a relatively little-known song by George Michael that got some airplay around here. As soon as I heard it I ran out and bought it and I'd throw a tape on the VCR of a figure skating program -- someone's terrific original program -- and turn the sound down, and play this song behind it, and it was amazing how it fit almost every program! The notes that he draws out would nearly always coincide with the skater preparing for a jump, looking backward over his or her shoulder -- and as soon as the note broke off the skater would take off into the jump, it was so cool!

Of course, if the song the skater was using also happened to be a beguine, like "Maria" from West Side Story, the synchronization was perfect and it REALLY worked!

"A Different Corner"

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 am

Marie wrote:Oooh, Miley be twerkin! :o
Kinda sedate twerks, as twerks go, but still...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! She did it again at the Video Music Awards and Will Smith's fanily reacted thusly:

You'da thought they were seeing "Springtime for Hitler" for the fist time!:
"Well! Talk about bad taste!" :LMAO

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am

Kinda sorry I missed it! :lol:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:33 pm

dejapig wrote:Kinda sorry I missed it! :lol:

Oh crap, they took it down! :-s

It's okay, there are other websites where it's posted. You just have to google Miley VMA 2013 and you'll find one. (Maybe won't be the best quality video; that one was the cleanest I could find -- well, tape quality-wise, anyway! :wink: )
--------

Oh! Mashable has a good one. I think this is the authorized one. Go HERE:
http://mashable.com/2013/08/25/miley-cyrus-vmas/

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:49 pm

:shock: Wow! That's pretty bad! :lol:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 am

dejapig wrote::shock: Wow! That's pretty bad! :lol:

I know it's bad but I couldn't help laughing, she's SO BOLD! Btw, did you notice one of the first things Keith did on that first show was to correct the misconception that everyone -- incl. me -- had regarding the photo depicting Will Smith & family's reaction, not to Miley, as had been reported, but to Mlle. Gaga? (I didn't see her; maybe she wore her meat dress again. Must be getting pretty gamy by now.)

So I thought, that's fine, but then how DID the Smith clan react to Miley? I mean, they couldn't have been so shocked by Gagette and absolutely cool w/ Miley, could they? So, it's a distinction without a difference, as a mathematician friend of mine was fond of saying. Shocked at one, you had to be shocked by the other.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 am

What's this, you ask?

I discovered a Grateful Dead bootleg concert archive. Glorious! The one I'm listening to now was recorded at Barton Hall, where I saw Keith in 2011.

Imagine! Keith & the Grateful Dead stood on that very same stage! (Which could literally have happened b/c the year of this concert was 1977, when KO was at Cornell & working at the radio station, and if you work at a college radio station you have an excuse to meet the performers when they're in town.) I wonder if he knew it was sacred ground?

Rainbow over Barton Hall, November 2010

This concert is considered by some to be "the ultimate bootleg," so in case you'd like to get in your Wayback Machine, here's a couple of ACTUAL TICKETS TO THAT CONCERT, so you can take a friend -- :grin:

-Marie-

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 am

Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden:

" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Marie wrote:
dejapig wrote::shock: Wow! That's pretty bad! :lol:

I know it's bad but I couldn't help laughing, she's SO BOLD! . . .

Video montage of people in the media using the word "twerk" (some not knowing exactly what it means) after the performance:
http://gawker.com/heres-a-supercut-of-p ... socialflow

:lol:

-Marie-

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 pm

She is still a kid and this act is not really good for her image. She is still that little girl and has the same maturity of a little girl. She could do so much better with her music and her image by toning it down. These girls that are following Madonna haven't heard that time is way gone.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:55 pm

jwolfbauer wrote:She is still a kid and this act is not really good for her image. She is still that little girl and has the same maturity of a little girl. She could do so much better with her music and her image by toning it down. These girls that are following Madonna haven't heard that time is way gone.

I remember chatting w/ my husband, back when she started off in this direction with the full permission -- one might even call it abetting -- of her squeaky clean-imaged dad. I wondered then whether it represented a rebellion against the constraints of his true-blue American values, but he seemed to be 4-sq. in favor of the radical turn after Hannah Montana, etc.

Right now I'm interested in other people's reaction to what she's doing, since I'm not of the generation that watched Hannah M. Haven't decided whether her image is more like Madonna's or that of a female Prince.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:52 am

Continuing on the Miley theme -- looks like Capt. Kirk will never be Capt Twerk.

Bridge of the Enterprise erupts as Star Trek officers react to Miley's
performance: X_X

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Captain Twerk :lol:

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Peter Gabriel - Courage (Radio Edit)

" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 pm

This was very big in coffee houses back in the day. There was one performer in particular at the one I volunteered at ($$$ went to a tutoring program) used to sing it every set.

Bare branches were clacking and wild geese flew over when I went out to get the mail today, and I remembered it --

-Marie-

Return to “Music”