General News About The 'Olbermann' Show

Keith Olbermann related topics. This Forum combines all Olbermann threads from KeithOlbermann.Org. KO.O.
Marie
Certified Fan

Re: General News About The 'Olbermann' Show

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:35 pm

ANOTHER 2-day "postponement"? (Keith's word) Wtf? :?

No Keith 3/19 & 3/20. :-(

The show returns on MONDAY 3/23/2015.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Just announced!!!

Keith is rooting for Stu.

The Scott children say:

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:24 pm

03/24/2015

@ESPNOlbermann - 13,878 Followers

Keith Olbermann Channel - 29,743 Subscribers

:banana :mango :plantain :purple :plantain :mango :banana
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:17 pm

So.......... Keith gets nominated for an Emmy... and his reward is to get preempted again for 2 days?

"Be back, hopefully, on Monday."

I don't understand this at all. :-(

-Marie-
PS, I just called ESPN to complain. Here's the number if anyone else wants to:
888/549-3776. Then hit 3 when prompted.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:53 pm

ESPN ombudsman: Initial ‘flood’ of complaints over Olbermann’s return to ESPN has become ‘trickle’
by Andrew Kirell
Mediaite
April 22nd, 2015

USA Today Sports put up a fascinating piece on Tuesday asking what famously cocksure ABC sportscaster Howard Cosell would be doing today if he were alive. It’s well worth the read, but there’s one interesting nugget that especially appeals to Mediaite’s audience: ESPN was subjected to a deluge of hate mail over hiring Keith Olbermann in 2013; but that “flood” has become just a “trickle” now.

Olbermann was heavily influenced by Cosell, who passed away 20 years ago, but the USA Today sports article noted that the two famously blustery reporters have had wildly different career trajectories. Cosell spent his entire career with ABC until they fired him after his 1985 book, I Never Played the Game, spoke ill of many of his colleagues. Olbermann, on the other hand, has bounced around from network to network.

Interestingly, though, ESPN suggested that Olbermann has been on his best behavior and has settled in quite nicely with his ESPN2 show. His show was moved to the coveted 5 p.m. slot as a reward, and even his suspension-earning run-in with Penn State students has become a thing of the past.

Significantly, the controversy surrounding his hire has allegedly subsided:

"While right wing ESPN viewers initially objected to Olbermann’s renewed presence in their sports because of his stances taken during about a decade in cable news, by one metric their voiced displeasure mostly dissipated.

" 'I received a lot of mail about that when he first came back,' says recent ESPN Ombudsman Robert Lipsyte. 'But as time went on, the flood turned to a trickle. I don’t know whether they lost heart, got used to him, or found he wasn’t that objectionable'."

As for where Cosell would be today, Olbermann had this to say: “[T]here would’ve been plenty of other platforms in news and political TV that he would’ve thrived in, in addition to or in lieu of, just sports.”

Fellow ESPN host Tony Kornheiser suggested Cosell would thrive as a “generalist” primetime talk host, similar to Bill O’Reilly.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/espn-ombudsm ... e-trickle/

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue May 05, 2015 5:21 pm

The Sports Emmy ceremonies have arrived.

Keith tweets from the festivities:
https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/stat ... 0160325632

-Marie-

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:18 pm

05/13/2015

@ESPNOlbermann - 14,032 Followers

Keith Olbermann Channel - 31,733 Subscribers

" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

StevenHW

Postby StevenHW » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Marie wrote:
ESPN ombudsman: Initial ‘flood’ of complaints over Olbermann’s return to ESPN has become ‘trickle’
by Andrew Kirell
Mediaite
April 22nd, 2015

USA Today Sports put up a fascinating piece on Tuesday asking what famously cocksure ABC sportscaster Howard Cosell would be doing today if he were alive. It’s well worth the read, but there’s one interesting nugget that especially appeals to Mediaite’s audience: ESPN was subjected to a deluge of hate mail over hiring Keith Olbermann in 2013; but that “flood” has become just a “trickle” now.

Olbermann was heavily influenced by Cosell, who passed away 20 years ago, but the USA Today sports article noted that the two famously blustery reporters have had wildly different career trajectories. Cosell spent his entire career with ABC until they fired him after his 1985 book, I Never Played the Game, spoke ill of many of his colleagues. Olbermann, on the other hand, has bounced around from network to network.

Interestingly, though, ESPN suggested that Olbermann has been on his best behavior and has settled in quite nicely with his ESPN2 show. His show was moved to the coveted 5 p.m. slot as a reward, and even his suspension-earning run-in with Penn State students has become a thing of the past...[snip]

-Marie-

Here's a link to the USA Today article that was referenced:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/04/21/remembering-howard-cosell-what-type-of-work-would-he-be-doing-today/

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:36 pm

06/12/2015

@ESPNOlbermann - 14,195 Followers

Keith Olbermann Channel - 33,423 Subscribers

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Keith will only be on two days next week due to NCAA College World Series, which plays on Mon, Tues, and Friday.

We'll see Keith on Wed 6/17 & Thurs 6/18 at the usual times (say ESPN's listings, LOL, we'll keep you posted of any updates, if or as they are provided by the network!)

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:58 pm

CONTRACT TALKS UNDERWAY

Keith is currently in negotiations w/ ESPN to renew his contract, which expires in August. Fans will recall that when he returned to ESPN in 2013, the expectation was that any clashes with the network would probably revolve around political remarks; and so, in order to prevent such clashes, Keith has an understanding with the network that he is at liberty to comment about politics where politics intersects with sports.

But as it turns out, the difficulties surrounding his editorials have not concerned politics. There's some scuttlebutt* that Keith's strong comments (and those of other ESPN personalities) regarding the NFL's handling of domestic violence and traumatic brain injury are interfering with the network's lucrative NFL deal.

ESPN has already let Bill Simmons go, in large part (reportedly) because of his criticism of Roger Goodell and because he isn't the type to consider any sports entity or figure off-limits when it comes to criticism. If history is any indication, the same can certainly be said of Keith's approach to journalism. In contrast to Simmons, however, Keith's people have proven ingenious at finding points of compromise between Keith and his bosses which have kept him on the air where others would have simply walked.

So I assume if he wants to stay where he is, a way through this dilemma will be found. In the meantime, stay tuned for the latest developments!

-Marie-
*From NBC Sports, 7/1/2015: "Report: ESPN wants Olbermann to stop ripping Goodell"
*UPDATE: ESPN denies report: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... g-goodell/

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:52 pm

From The Big Lead: KO's ESPN colleague Scott Van Pelt comments on Keith's (and Simmons' and Cowherd's) recent departure from the network:

begins at 18:37
http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/01/scott- ... n-america/

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:19 pm

If ESPN thought they'd placated the the insatiable appetite of the Disney god by deleting the aforementioned high priced personnel from their roster, they were sadly mistaken.

Two to three hundred additional jobs are about to be cut at the Worldwide Leader...

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/21/layoff ... g-to-espn/

-Marie-

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Marie wrote:If ESPN thought they'd placated the the insatiable appetite of the Disney god by deleting the aforementioned high priced personnel from their roster, they were sadly mistaken.

Two to three hundred additional jobs are about to be cut at the Worldwide Leader...

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/21/layoff ... g-to-espn/

One of ESPN's problem is to many channels. With ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, ESPN News and the sports they show on ABC they have spread themselves out to thin. :-(

And last year to compete with the Big 10 network, they added the SEC channel. #-o

Another problem is they are not only competing with the sports networks of CBS, NBC and FOX but also the channels the sports themselves. When ESPN started there was no NFL, NBA, or MLB channels. =;

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:25 pm

^You're right, the greed is unbelievable on both sides!

Maybe they should take your suggestion and shut down a couple of those sister channels. Hyatt & Gore sold Current to Al Jazeera for 500-million. If ESPN doubled that by selling off two channels, it could mean one BILLION for Disney.

Would that be enough to get the Mouse off their back?

-Marie-

Return to “Keith Olbermann”