Your Ideas for KO's Current TV Debut

Keith Olbermann related topics. This Forum combines all Olbermann threads from KeithOlbermann.Org. KO.O.
ArmoredGhost
Certified Fan

Your Ideas for KO's Current TV Debut

Postby ArmoredGhost » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:38 pm

A couple of things has come to my mind about what I'd like to see KO do when he fires his debut on Current TV. I've read somebody else mention that he should go Progressive and maybe not so much his Countdown antics. I'm for both. Why couldn't KO do two separate shows on Current? One hr of Progressive talk that offers a lot of solutions and another hr that reflects his Countdown pokes to the eye of the ignorant warmongering idiots on the Right? I think both shows would pull an audience.

I also love the old Countdown music score. I'd lie for KO to carry over into his new program that same music. It's catchy with a great beat!!

I haven't thot of anything yet, but KO does need to come up with a super head turner gimmick to pull a lot of viewers into Current. Just to get them there. I know .... KO shouldn't need a gimmick but in this world of spastic goofs who love shiny objects, etc etc, I think KO needs a short but sweet gimmick that's not been done before to draw a large crowd. I haven't thot of anything yet, but I hope between us all, we can think of something that will have that wildfire effect once it gets out. You know .... something like each day .... a special guest comes onto his program in the nude. I know that's low class as all get out, but one also knows that it would draw beaucoup ppl into Current TV land out of pure curiosity! The ratings would explode off the charts!! But .... we know that can't be done ( I don't think) .... but that's an example of what I mean about doing something that's almost completely off the charts. The rest of KO's genuine talents will speak for itself once he gets the huge crowd there. I'm sure there's a tasteful idea that's not been done before that Current could try to pull the super crowd to that network during KO's debut there.

PS: Now my thinking is ticking ..... I remember in the old days a show that had a mystery guess that was behind a wall or curtain. The panel would ask them questions trying to guess who that person was. Maybe KO can do something like that with special guests ..... a political figure head who is hidden .... while KO asks them questions in order to guess who it is. Well ... the idea is to create something mysterious ... or daring ..... that jazzes KO's abilities up more.

OK friends ... your turn. I'd like to read your ideas.
------- Oh, the INSANITY!! -------

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Your Ideas for KO's Current TV Debut

Postby Marie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:12 pm

ArmouredGhost, our brains are ticking in unison. Just this afternoon as I was making lunch it occurred to me that the bulk of Keith's and MSNBC's separation negotiations may have revolved around how much of the style and format of his show he would be allowed to keep intact when he reopened it in another venue. Maybe that's why it took weeks to hammer out.

Now that he's talking about "an improved and stronger and amplified version of the show I just did at my previous network," it sounds more likely than ever that there could be a virtually seamless transition from the old show to the new for us Countdown fans!

As to the hook or the gimmick, it will be Keith himself who is the draw initially. Fans will be overjoyed to see his face again on the small screen, and detractors will be hovering like vultures, chanting, "Fail. Fail. Fail." (Keith himself promised at the "upfronts" on Wednesday that he "won't screw it up too much." :-)

I'd be happy if he brought back the News Quiz, if for no other reason than it would mean he was once more covering ANYTHING in the news that captures him, not just politics.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

GeminiDogg

Postby GeminiDogg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 pm

I predict in his debut that his ratings will be TWICE LARGER than BillO's, let alone about MSNBC. Poor Lawrence. :-(
Neo-Clown slayer and 'KO' is my mutha Funkin' Dawg!!!

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:20 am

Haha count me against the nudity and game-show ratings-booster ideas, sorry!
"Debating [Brooklyn] Billy is a bit like pissing in the wind-sure you can technically do it...but what's the point?" - Philbert

"I take my role as a troll very seriously, a good part of that job is to be irritating." - Brooklyn Billy

http://www.dailykos.com/user/ProgressivePatriotPA/

http://www.twitter.com/progpatriotpa/

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 am

I agree that the new show will probably be a lot like Countdown. Those progressives who are dreaming of Olbermann going unbound and launching a populist liberal network aren't considering his particulars. Keith has always been a journalist first and foremost. It was his degree, and he was a straight reporter and anchor long before becoming known as a liberal commentator. My guess is that the new show will have more reporting and less political handicapping, which is the trademark of "the place for politics". Current is more in to documentaries on international relations and climate change (Al Gore's cup of tea).

The challenge will be to make Current into a network that can support him.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:38 am

dnkoa wrote:I agree that the new show will probably be a lot like Countdown. Those progressives who are dreaming of Olbermann going unbound and launching a populist liberal network aren't considering his particulars. Keith has always been a journalist first and foremost. It was his degree, and he was a straight reporter and anchor long before becoming known as a liberal commentator. My guess is that the new show will have more reporting and less political handicapping, which is the trademark of "the place for politics". Current is more in to documentaries on international relations and climate change (Al Gore's cup of tea).

The challenge will be to make Current into a network that can support him.

I hope you're right because if you're right, Keith is back on the path he was on before Phil Griffin decided he should do something different. Keith's stated goal was someday to be a network anchor, with his own style. "The Place for Politics" identity was taking him farther and farther off that path. I think that if there was any resistance on Keith's part recently at MSNBC (naturally perceived by management as "being difficult"), that's probably what it was about.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:43 am

I'll be REALLY disappointed if Keith's new show doesn't focus on politics as much.
"Debating [Brooklyn] Billy is a bit like pissing in the wind-sure you can technically do it...but what's the point?" - Philbert

"I take my role as a troll very seriously, a good part of that job is to be irritating." - Brooklyn Billy

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:53 am

re: naked guests. Look, there's no doubt that Fox gets some of its unsuspecting viewers from having a bright shiny surface, looking like it's an entertainment channel, and its miniskirted leggy female anchors. MSNBC has been a little less on the sex appeal, due to pitching itself as a nonstop political channel. CNN is somewhere in between. Ultimately Current will need to decide what it wants to do to attract viewers. Sexing it up isn't anything to be ashamed of from a TV point of view, and indeed makes sense, the question is does it help the content go down or does it substitute for content.

NancyB
Spaz

Postby NancyB » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:06 pm

One of the chief reasons, other than my always changing work schedule, that I tuned out of Countdown for a bit after the last presidental election was that I was burnt out on politics. I am not a political news junkie, nor will I ever be (even though the closest I came was when I was in high school but that was when I was reading Newsweek for a class I had). I would want an even mix of news and politics, and maybe more news if there isn't really a lot of political stuff to talk about. I was watching Keith before 2004 and I liked they way that it was then, you would hear about a lot of things, and to me that was lacking in the last couple of years. I know you can't go back, but at the same time I miss a couple things about the way it was. But considering I'd probably only see clips on the net, maybe this is all moot anyway. :-k

Sub-Level28
Certified Fan

Postby Sub-Level28 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:11 pm

All I want him to do is make his show about more than politics and stay away from celebrity stuff.
And bring his brand of humour more to bare.
Oh and keep the "Tweet of The Day" and "Oddball".
"Go forth and spread beauty and light" Keith's sign off August 12th '09

Twitter @SubLevel28

Used with permisssion by ReasonVsFear

NancyB
Spaz

Postby NancyB » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Sub-Level28 wrote:All I want him to do is make his show about more than politics and stay away from celebrity stuff.
And bring his brand of humour more to bare.
Oh and keep the "Tweet of The Day" and "Oddball".

This, yes. I don't want to hear about Linsday Lohan, et al.

"Tweet of the day" is something I can aspire to, lol.

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Yeah I'd prefer to never have to hear about a Tiger Woods-esque scandal on the news ever again. [-o<

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:02 pm

keithaddict wrote:Yeah I'd prefer to never have to hear about a Tiger Woods-esque scandal on the news ever again. [-o<

Unless it's first animated by Apple Daily!

-Marie-

ArmoredGhost
Certified Fan

Postby ArmoredGhost » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:50 pm

For the record, I wasn't serious about nude guests to jazz up the Network. LOL =P~ I do think that some added features that hasn't been done before would be important to help make Current TV stand way out from the rest.

I'm very much on the same page with keeping a lot of the same Countdown format. I still would KO do at least 2 separate hrs of programming each day. I think he has both the brains and talent to pull that off. I also hope Current runs his show in rerun later in the night too, just in case some of us miss the first round of them earlier in the day/evening.

I'd like to see him bring around more good ole Dems to be on his shows, like Max Cleland (if his health permits) ... the Nam Vet whom Goober ran away from during 2004. It would be good to see a steady flow of those brave Dems who chased and stood up to Goober during his first stolen term.

I'd also like to see some new young upcoming political minds be aired more ..... during a separate program from Countdown. To pave the way and help mold the young ones in order to pursue hard core reform in this nation. See where I'm thinking here? I want KO to become our Progressive movement for the future. He has to get a lot of young folks interested in this NOW while, he himself, pushes his maximum abilities forward. I would like to see Cindy Sheehan become involved with such a Progressive movement too!! Could she have a place on Current TV?

One thing for sure .... there needs to be a separation of Big Corp & State / Church & State. There needs to be an end to these military crusades overseas!!! I hope KO focuses on that when he begins his Current TV adventure.
------- Oh, the INSANITY!! -------

RareBird
Certified Fan

Postby RareBird » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:42 am

Here's my suggestion: Keith should abandon the "news" altogether and instead cover "progress"--all the stuff of intellect that doesn't fit into the sensationalist ratings-mania of established broadcast networks. The mistake would be to fail to understand that the future of any new media market entry is in a well-defined but limited market. The essential underpinning of the "digital" media paradigm is a fundamental switch from "one to many" to "one to one". If you pick the right "one" to tailor your product to in this model, you may be able to serve millions of that one in what could become a potent "media compartment". The trick is not to over-shoot that and seek to capture EVERYONE. The right is serving its "media compartment" with a totality of fare that they want--writing off "everybody" in favor of "some body" they know they can count on. The world is wide open to carve out a piece of the "non-right". The mistake is to believe in getting everyone--you'll lose your own compartment and create just another "news" vehicle. The more one tries to capture the entire mass of the viewing public, the more editorial decisions will be made to neuter the product. Why merely be politically "progressive" when the opportunity exists to conventionalize "progress" in ways that will raid the debate and change the dynamic?

Return to “Keith Olbermann”