I First Learned About KO When...

Keith Olbermann related topics. This Forum combines all Olbermann threads from KeithOlbermann.Org. KO.O.
politicaljunkie3

I First Learned About KO When...

Postby politicaljunkie3 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:51 am

I was outside the MSNBC national mall studio in DC.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: I First Learned About KO When...

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:10 am

Haven't we had a thread recently where this question as asked? Or maybe I'm thinking of something similar, but not exactly...

Anyway, I think Countdown came on after a show I was already watching in 2003, so I must have just left it on. But Keith didn't clearly swim up into my consciousness until sometime during the summer of 2004. That's when I became a regular Countdown viewer on purpose. :-)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:11 am

politicaljunkie3 wrote:I was outside the MSNBC national mall studio in DC.
During the Inaug? That must have been exciting!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 am

...I was living in Khobar, Saudi Arabia! America Plus cable had some American shows, which included some news shows. With the time difference, COUNTDOWN was broadcast "live" early in the morning over there, and then rebroadcast at mid-morning. The show was on one morning--I wasn't paying particular attention--then Keith said something really snarky. My head whipped around.

"Did he just say that on a broadcast news show?" I wondered aloud. Then, "Who is this guy?"

My husband recognized Keith from Sports Center days. That was sometime in 2003, probably just several months after the show began. I made it a point to watch it every day after that. When I was back in the States during the summers, it was weird to see Keith on at night! :lol:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Echo_Extirpation

Postby Echo_Extirpation » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:24 am

News used to bore me to tears. Then i flipped past KO one night and finally found someone who expressed how i felt. i call us-- most of you included-- the common sensers. we use our brains to rationally solve our dilemmas.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:25 am

dejapig wrote:...I was living in Khobar, Saudi Arabia! America Plus cable had some American shows, which included some news shows. With the time difference, COUNTDOWN was broadcast "live" early in the morning over there, and then rebroadcast at mid-morning. The show was on one morning--I wasn't paying particular attention--then Keith said something really snarky. My head whipped around.

"Did he just say that on a broadcast news show?" I wondered aloud. Then, "Who is this guy?"

My husband recognized Keith from Sports Center days. That was sometime in 2003, probably just several months after the show began. I made it a point to watch it every day after that. When I was back in the States during the summers, it was weird to see Keith on at night! :lol:
That's so cool!

I could kick myself for not paying closer attention to those earlier shows. From just the bits and pieces I've seen, there were some great segments right from the beginning!

I wish the website would post all the show's year-end "best of" compliations for those of us who jumped in at a later point.

-Marie-

stretchdogg

Postby stretchdogg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:26 am

... when he was doing sports for KTLA here in Los Angeles, 1985-86 (?) I was producing a radio show for a host who went to school with him. KO then moved to CBS 2, and from there, into the stratosphere. Periodically kept tabs on him, but he had moved on. Didn't watch ESPN much. Got started watching the news channels after 9/11... got hooked on KO from his first shows on MSNBC. Haven't left.

Eileenleft

Postby Eileenleft » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 am

In early 07 I was laid off my job, so to pass the time, I started watching news shows. One evening, in late March of that year, I accidentally left the TV on following "Hardball". Prior to that time I knew nothing about Keith or "Countdown." I was immediately hooked -- haven't missed a show with Keith hosting, since. What initially drew me in was his anti-Bush administration commentary and snarky humor plus he was easy on the eyes. I continue to be amazed by Keith's commentary, use of language, breath of knowledge, humor, passion, and compassion. He's truly unique. I can't wait for tonight's show, which airs at 5PM in California.

Good day and good luck!

Eileen

ArmoredGhost
Certified Fan

Postby ArmoredGhost » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:46 pm

I became more interested in politics after the BushCons began destroying in 2003 with very little resistance. I turned to radio to find someone who would stand up to the Cons. There wasn't many who would. Except for Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller and Randi Rhodes. Then it seems that I finally accidentally located KO on cable soon after the '04 election. I took notice. I liked his honesty but, for my blood, he wasn't a hard core hitter against Goober & Co enough. I drifted away from him for awhile until around 2007 when I checked him out a little more again. He was on fire! He appeared to me to be really disgusted with the BushCons because he really told it like it was. FINALLY! I knew then, KO was top dog in the industry vs the BushCons. He was our badly needed point man. You could tell that he was effecting the right wing nuts.They were pissed off at him most of the time. That meant he was hitting them where it truly hurt. Right in the fact bag. From that point on, I'd forever have his back. I may not catch every show of his, but I try at least 3 times a week. Schultz, Miller and Rhodes doesn't hold a match to KO. Only Maddow comes close with such. We really need more KOs just as much as we need a 'real' justice system. Could you all imagine if KO was our AG? That would mean that the DoJ would be on the up and up if he were. It's obvious as the crooked noses on the BushCon's faces that it's not.
------- Oh, the INSANITY!! -------

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 pm

ArmoredGhost wrote:Then it seems that I finally accidentally located KO on cable soon after the '04 election. I took notice. I liked his honesty but, for my blood, he wasn't a hard core hitter against Goober & Co enough. . . .
This is something the righties conveniently "forget" (or don't go back far enough with Keith to have known in the first place) -- Keith didn't start out to go after those guys. He likes to remind them that everyone was prepared to give Bush the benefit of the doubt, even in the runup to Iraq, and W had been president for YEARS before Keith jumped on him and others in the media (reluctantly) followed suit.

To hear them tell it, Keith came out of his mother yelling at Republicans.

-Marie-

Trekkerlass

Postby Trekkerlass » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:22 pm

I've been interesting in politics most of my adult life. I discovered Keith in 2005, while during the aftermath of Katrina. Someone had posted his Katrina 'Special Comment' (although I don't think it was called that yet) on Democratic Underground. I watched it several times; I was impressed by his passion and intelligence. Been a watcher of his show since.

I found this forum in 2006. It's my home away from home, and (in more ways than one) my sanity saver.
'What are the lessons to be learned from this journey of the mind "through the universe"? That humans are emotionally fragile, perennially gullible, hopelessly ignorant masters of an insignificantly small speck in the cosmos. Have a nice day.'--Neil DeGrasse Tyson

politicaljunkie3

Postby politicaljunkie3 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Marie wrote:
politicaljunkie3 wrote:I was outside the MSNBC national mall studio in DC.
During the Inaug? That must have been exciting!

-Marie-

It was an extremely exciting moment for me. Sadly, I didn't know who Keith was at the time so I didn't attempt to get near him. I regret it hugely.

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:57 pm

I started watching Keith during the 2008 election season. I really regret that I didn't know about his show during the Bush years, because as someone who was 12 years old in the year 2000 who came into political awareness with warrantless wire-taps and indefinite detention of "detainees" and torture, it would've made me feel a lot less politically alienated if I had known there was someone like Keith doing what he did in those days. In 9th grade I was taking a class called Current American Issues. Our teacher showed us pictures of trucks and said that the President said that the trucks were mobile chemical weapons facilities. I asked how they could possibly know that. At the end of class we took a vote, and I was literally the only one in a class room of about 30 kids who wasn't ready to send off his fellow citizens to die for no reason. It really felt like living in a dream. Were they even thinking about what war meant for those who actually had to fight it?
"Debating [Brooklyn] Billy is a bit like pissing in the wind-sure you can technically do it...but what's the point?" - Philbert

"I take my role as a troll very seriously, a good part of that job is to be irritating." - Brooklyn Billy

http://www.dailykos.com/user/ProgressivePatriotPA/

http://www.twitter.com/progpatriotpa/

IrishEyes
Certified Fan

Postby IrishEyes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:20 pm

(Some of this is in my intro.) I first learned about Keith when I read how he had been booted from anchor for the Republican convention. My thought was, anybody who could get them that fired up had to be worth checking out. I live in a very conservative county in the middle of the Bible belt, and, honestly I sometimes felt like I was the only person on earth that was against going to war. I grew up in the Viet Nam era, with friends and family members being effected by that war. I was appalled to see it happening all over again.
The thing I really like about Keith is that, even tho he is extremely intellegent, he is able to present his ideas and information in a way that I not only can understand, but I soak it up. I have learned so much about the political process in the past year or so. My only regret is that I did not know about him sooner.

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 pm

keithaddict wrote:I started watching Keith during the 2008 election season. I really regret that I didn't know about his show during the Bush years, because as someone who was 12 years old in the year 2000 who came into political awareness with warrantless wire-taps and indefinite detention of "detainees" and torture, it would've made me feel a lot less politically alienated if I had known there was someone like Keith doing what he did in those days. In 9th grade I was taking a class called Current American Issues. Our teacher showed us pictures of trucks and said that the President said that the trucks were mobile chemical weapons facilities. I asked how they could possibly know that. At the end of class we took a vote, and I was literally the only one in a class room of about 30 kids who wasn't ready to send off his fellow citizens to die for no reason. It really felt like living in a dream. Were they even thinking about what war meant for those who actually had to fight it?

You had a lot of gravitas for a 9th grader, or even for someone much older. Good for you, k.a.! =D>
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Return to “Keith Olbermann”