‘Wild Kingdom’ Host Jim Fowler Passes Away At 89

Post deaths of well known public figures here
Slfriend79
Site Admin

‘Wild Kingdom’ Host Jim Fowler Passes Away At 89

Postby Slfriend79 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 am

‘Wild Kingdom’ Host Jim Fowler Dead At 89

The wildlife expert co-hosted Mutual of Omaha’s “Wild Kingdom” with Marlin Perkins beginning in 1963.

LOS ANGELES (Variety.com) - “Wild Kingdom” host Jim Fowler died on Wednesday, according to a tribute on the show’s website. He was 89.

Fowler co-hosted Mutual of Omaha’s “Wild Kingdom” with Marlin Perkins beginning in 1963. He was also known for being a regular guest on “The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson,” and Fowler was close friends with the talk show host.

Fowler became interested in wildlife growing up on his family’s farm in Georgia. He studied zoology in college, where he was also a star baseball player. Fowler turned down offers from the Phillies and Yankees to pursue a career as a naturalist, according to his website.

Fowler said in a statement on his website, “What we have to do is ask ourselves, ‘What’s in it for me?’ Only then will we realize that the continued existence of wildlife and wilderness is ultimately important to the quality of life of humans.”

Bronx Zoo director Jim Breheny remembered the educator with a tweet, writing, “We were saddened to learn of the death of our friend Jim Fowler. Growing up this kid from the Bronx and millions of others spent every Sunday night w/ him and Wild Kingdom. He was a force and role model in my career choice. As a kid I could not have imagined becoming his friend.”

Read Story And Watch Videos Here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jim-fowl ... 5e47d97c4f
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: ‘Wild Kingdom’ Host Jim Fowler Passes Away At 89

Postby Marie » Fri May 10, 2019 9:07 am

When reruns went into syndication we got to watch Wild Kingdom every night around dinnertime. It was a fixture in our household, one of those shows that, along with Disney's poetically filmed True Life Adventures and Marty Stouffer's Wild America, gave my generation a different attitude toward nature than those before it.

Just came to me: Fowler was "the young guy" next to Martin Perkins. Wow.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “RIP”