Jim Traficant Passes Away At 73

Post deaths of well known public figures here
Slfriend79
Site Admin

Jim Traficant Passes Away At 73

Postby Slfriend79 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Former Ohio Congressman Jim Traficant Dies At 73 After Injuries At Farm

Former Rep. Jim Traficant, the nine-time Ohio Congressman who spent several years in prison on bribery charges, died Saturday following serious injuries at his farm, his lawyer said. He was 73.

Traficant had been in critical condition in a Youngstown hospital since Tuesday, when an “older-style tractor” he was driving flipped over and landed on top of him as he pulled into his barn, reported NBC affiliate WFMJ. The colorful and eccentric Democrat was known for ending his speeches on the House floor by saying, “Beam me up!” — a phrase he took from “Star Trek.” He was ousted from Congress in 2002 following his conviction on charges of bribery, racketeering and tax evasion. He served seven years in prison.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politic ... rm-n213136
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Jim Traficant Passes Away At 73

Postby Marie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm tempted to say something snarky about that beaver pelt he always wore on his head -- did that go too? -- but I won't.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “RIP”