Sir Richard Attenborough Passes Away At 90

Post deaths of well known public figures here
Slfriend79
Site Admin

Sir Richard Attenborough Passes Away At 90

Postby Slfriend79 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Actor Richard Attenborough Dies At 90

24 August 2014 Last updated at 17:12 ET

British actor and film director Richard Attenborough has died at the age of 90.

He died at lunchtime on Sunday, his son told BBC News.

Lord Attenborough was one of Britain's leading actors, before becoming a highly successful director.

In a career that spanned six decades, he appeared in films including Brighton Rock, World War Two prisoner of war thriller The Great Escape and later in dinosaur blockbuster Jurassic Park.

As a director he was perhaps best known for Gandhi, which won two Oscars.

Lord Attenborough had been in a nursing home with his wife for a number of years, BBC arts editor Will Gompertz said.

He had also been in a wheelchair since falling down stairs 6 years ago, our correspondent added.

His family is expected to make a full statement tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28923074
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Sir Richard Attenborough Passes Away At 90

Postby Marie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Ghandhi still puts me in awe every time I see it.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Marie wrote:Ghandhi still puts me in awe every time I see it.

-Marie-

Yes! I don't know why so many smartasses make fun of that picture. It's one of the best non-David Lean epics. Kingsley was born for that role.

Shadowlands is also wonderful, but damn it if someone always decides to cut onions whenever I watch it :wink:

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:37 pm

dnkoa wrote:
Marie wrote:Ghandhi still puts me in awe every time I see it.

Yes! I don't know why so many smartasses make fun of that picture. It's one of the best non-David Lean epics. Kingsley was born for that role.

Shadowlands is also wonderful, but damn it if someone always decides to cut onions whenever I watch it :wink:

I saw Shadowlands once, a long time ago, and recall being impressed by it.

Re Gandhi, it's one of the few movies which always restore my faith in people when I watch them. It removes any cynicism I may have built up since I last saw it, kind of like a spiritual cleanser. It's very pure.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “RIP”