Obama's immigration initiative

The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men. (Plato)
dejapig
Site Admin

Obama's immigration initiative

Postby dejapig » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:11 am

This article had some interesting points about the initiative...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/11-key-facts-about-obamas-immigration-initiative/ar-BBeVP1O

11 key facts about Obama's immigration initiative

Vox.com

Matthew Yglesias2 hrs ago
1.President Obama is announcing policy changes that give 4.3 million unauthorized immigrants — mostly parents of US citizens plus some immigrants who arrived as teenagers — protection from deportation.

2.That adds to the 1.5 million already protected under the DACA initiative.

3.That leaves approximately 5-6 million other unauthorized immigrants still eligible for deportation.

4.These deportation protections are not permanent legal status, and do not create a path to citizenship.

5.This initiative is much larger and more politically contentious than the closest precedent, George H.W. Bush's Family Fairness initiative.

6.Under Obama, approximately 400,000 people are deported per year, which is a higher pace than under any previous administration.

7.The wheels will also start turning on an increase in the number of visas for recent graduates of American universities (called Optional Practical Training), and for foreign entrepreneurs but the rulemaking process will take time and it is not yet clear how large these expansions for skilled workers will be.

8.Optional Practical Training's critics note that the program operates with little in the way of regulation or clear guidelines, which is perhaps what makes it an appealing avenue for a president looking to increased skilled migration without getting Congress to pass a law.

9.Immunizing over 4 million immigrants from deportation if they register and begin paying taxes should lead to about $2.87 billion in new payroll tax revenue.

10.Studies indicate that the increase in visas for skilled workers should increase wages for native-born Americans, both those with and without college degrees.

11.In general, immigration raises average wages for American citizens but some (though not all) researchers find poorly educated Americans, especially high school dropouts, suffer lower wages due to immigration.

#6...Obama deports more than any previous administration!
#9...raises tax revenue!
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Re: Obama's immigration initiative

Postby BrooklynBilly » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm

dejapig wrote:This article had some interesting points about the initiative...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/11-key-facts-about-obamas-immigration-initiative/ar-BBeVP1O

Vox.com

1.President Obama is announcing policy changes that give 4.3 million unauthorized immigrants — mostly parents of US citizens plus some immigrants who arrived as teenagers — protection from deportation.

3.That leaves approximately 5-6 million other unauthorized immigrants still eligible for deportation.

4.These deportation protections are not permanent legal status, and do not create a path to citizenship.

5.This initiative is much larger and more politically contentious than the closest precedent, George H.W. Bush's Family Fairness initiative.

6.Under Obama, approximately 400,000 people are deported per year, which is a higher pace than under any previous administration.

7.The wheels will also start turning on an increase in the number of visas for recent graduates of American universities (called Optional Practical Training), and for foreign entrepreneurs but the rulemaking process will take time and it is not yet clear how large these expansions for skilled workers will be.

8.Optional Practical Training's critics note that the program operates with little in the way of regulation or clear guidelines, which is perhaps what makes it an appealing avenue for a president looking to increased skilled migration without getting Congress to pass a law.

9.Immunizing over 4 million immigrants from deportation if they register and begin paying taxes should lead to about $2.87 billion in new payroll tax revenue.

10.Studies indicate that the increase in visas for skilled workers should increase wages for native-born Americans, both those with and without college degrees.

11.In general, immigration raises average wages for American citizens but some (though not all) researchers find poorly educated Americans, especially high school dropouts, suffer lower wages due to immigration.

#9...raises tax revenue!

#6 What the numbers really mean is confusing: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mon ... tatistics/

#9 That's payroll taxes not income taxes.

I'm all for legalizing these people but doing it the right way is important. What we are doing is creating a now legalized low income work force that will put pressure on those already at the bottom of the economic ladder, poor blacks and, for that matter, poor whites. How these people are to attain citizenship will be an important part of the package and I'm sure that when Democrats take back Congress (I guess they eventually will) the skids will be greased for them to become citizens and get registered as Democrats.
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

Badmojo

Postby Badmojo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:27 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:#6 What the numbers really mean is confusing: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mon ... tatistics/

What the numbers really mean is that under Obama there are fewer people coming in under Obama because they are being turned around.

That's taxes which is better than no taxes. And what you are saying is over generalized anyway.

I'm all for legalizing these people but doing it the right way is important. What we are doing is creating a now legalized low income work force that will put pressure on those already at the bottom of the economic ladder, poor blacks and, for that matter, poor whites.

Wouldn't that already be happening? It's nice of you to have a heart for "poor blacks and, for that matter, poor whites", I'm not not sure you realize what you sound like but you could have just said "poor people", that would have sufficed, not sure why race is an issue here.

How these people are to attain citizenship will be an important part of the package and I'm sure that when Democrats take back Congress (I guess they eventually will) the skids will be greased for them to become citizens and get registered as Democrats.

I love a good conspiracy.

How should this all have gone down, what was the right path? I know you must have told us many times....can you remind me?

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:35 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:I'm all for legalizing these people but doing it the right way is important. What we are doing is creating a now legalized low income work force that will put pressure on those already at the bottom of the economic ladder, poor blacks and, for that matter, poor whites. How these people are to attain citizenship will be an important part of the package and I'm sure that when Democrats take back Congress (I guess they eventually will) the skids will be greased for them to become citizens and get registered as Democrats.

Three phrases I'd like to see a foot materialize out of the air and kick the utterer in the keister:

"I'm all for this idea, but we have to do it THE RIGHT WAY." (What it means: I'll keep stalling the thing I said I'm all for by refusing to do it your way, but at the same time not proposing an alternative, ensuring that it will never happen. When you ask which is the "right way," I'll just say your way isn't it.)

"This will result in an increase in Democratic voters." (What this implies: Dems don't care about families being torn apart or ppl being sent back into dangerous conditions; that's just a cover for what they really want, which is to make Hispanics grateful so they'll vote for them.)

"This will take jobs away from Americans." (Reason it's disingenuous: Americans aren't doing those jobs now.)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Postby BrooklynBilly » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Black teen unemployment 16-19 38%-white teen unemployment 17.5%

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:53 pm

There's nothing wrong with the current proposed comprehensive bipartisan legislation except that if it passed, it would go into the books as having been signed into law by Obama. So teaparty Republicans won't let it come up for a vote.

That is immoral and may even be unconstitutional. Someone should test my theory -- preferably a Republican.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

The Icy Commander
Grammar-impaired troll

Postby The Icy Commander » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:10 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:
dejapig wrote:This article had some interesting points about the initiative...

Vox.com

#9...raises tax revenue!

#6 What the numbers really mean is confusing: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mon ... tatistics/

I'm all for legalizing these people but doing it the right way is important. What we are doing is creating a now legalized low income work force that will put pressure on those already at the bottom of the economic ladder, poor blacks and, for that matter, poor whites. How these people are to attain citizenship will be an important part of the package and I'm sure that when Democrats take back Congress (I guess they eventually will) the skids will be greased for them to become citizens and get registered as Democrats.

The real fallout may not be felt for quite some time. We may see an even larger invasion coming from the south, as many third worlders may be convinced now more than ever that if they can get here, eventually they will be allowed to stay.

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:14 pm

The Icy Commander wrote: The real fallout may not be felt for quite some time. We may see an even larger invasion coming from the south, as many third worlders may be convinced now more than ever that if they can get here, eventually they will be allowed to stay.

I'm sure you're right, Icy.
Way...way...waaaaaaaaaaay RIGHT. LOL! :lol:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Badmojo

Postby Badmojo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:17 pm

An invasion of third worlders. I just don't understand how you guys keep losing Latinos and other minorities when they show up to vote in force.

The Icy Commander
Grammar-impaired troll

Postby The Icy Commander » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:39 am

SNL :LMAO

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Postby BrooklynBilly » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:10 pm

I really don't see Obama's move as anything more than a half assed pandering to Hispanic voters. Few family members were actually in danger of deportation and this move is only a temporary measure pending congressional action to give these people a permanent solution to their status. Obama, in my opinion, felt he had to do something before Republicans took over Congress so he'd have the political cover to continue calling them obstructionists and painting them as enemies of Latino aspirations. Republicans will do well to not over react and hopefully, early next year, will pass a comprehensive immigration bill that offers some long term solution to the unending flow of illegal immigration.

Badmojo

Postby Badmojo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Uh, only 4 million or so and since the GOP isn't going to do squat regarding immigration, especially any one of them running for president I think the president had to do something. It's all good, you guys get to whine about the brown horde invading our country carrying disease and Sharia law (we know they have the calves for it) and the rest of the country will get to witness it.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Badmojo wrote:(we know they have the calves for it)

:lol:

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:52 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:Obama, in my opinion, felt he had to do something before Republicans took over Congress so he'd have the political cover to continue calling them obstructionists and painting them as enemies of Latino aspirations. . . .

No, THEY'RE calling Republicans obstructionists and painting them as enemies of Latino aspirations. Because they are.

What's to pander?-- if you have the power to help someone in distress, it's immoral not to.

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:Republicans will do well to not over react and hopefully, early next year, will pass a comprehensive immigration bill that offers some long term solution to the unending flow of illegal immigration.

Really? When have the Republicans NOT completely overreacted to anything Obama has done, or that they even perceive that he has done? And if they had a comprehensive immigration bill somewhere up their sleeve just waiting for them to achieve their majority before trotting it out, it would lead to the complete and utter shock of absolutely everyone on both sides of the aisle. They got nuthin. :-s

Return to “Politics”