Merrick Garland refuses FBI Dir. job

News you want to discuss. Threads should start with a reference or fact. Straight opinion is better housed in "The Lounge" below.
Marie
Certified Fan

Merrick Garland refuses FBI Dir. job

Postby Marie » Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 am

Give up a lifetime appt for a 10-yr gig I can instantly be fired from? Hmm, let me think...

Um, no.

Judge Garland not interested in FBI job, sources say
Reuters
5/18/2015

U.S. APPEALS COURT JUDGE Merrick Garland, turned away by the Senate last year for a Supreme Court post, is not interested in serving as FBI director, two sources said on Tuesday.

The top Senate Republican recommended him for the job.

Garland, the chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, has told people around him he "loves his job and is not interested in leaving the judiciary," said one of the sources familiar with the judge's thinking. The two sources spoke on condition of anonymity.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he has mentioned Garland to Republican President Donald Trump as a possible successor James Comey, who Trump fired last week as FBI chief.

In an interview on Bloomberg Television, McConnell referred to Garland, a former federal prosecutor, as "an apolitical professional" to head the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Under McConnell's leadership, the Senate last year refused to consider centrist Garland for a lifetime job as a Supreme Court justice after Democratic President Barack Obama nominated him in March 2016. In doing so, McConnell was able to allow Trump, who took office in January, to nominate Neil Gorsuch to fill the seat, restoring the Supreme Court's conservative majority.

Garland, 64, has been praised by both Democrats and Republicans in his two decades on the appeals court. His appointment there is a lifetime one, and if he took on a 10-year term at the FBI it would open up another top judicial seat for Trump to fill.

Trump fired Comey during an FBI investigation into possible collusion between Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russia.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... SKCN18C1X0

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Re: Merrick Garland refuses FBI Dir. job

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:16 pm

I don't blame him. [-(
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Return to “What Story Are YOU Talking About?”