Worst Person in the World - June 30, 2005

KO.O. Stuff from 2009
PoliticsCentralX

Worst Person in the World - June 30, 2005

Postby PoliticsCentralX » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Does anybody have the video of the first "Worst Person in the World" segment when it debuted on June 30th, 2005? I can't find it anywhere.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Worst Person in the World - June 30, 2005

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Wiki pinpoints the first Worst Person segment date as July 1, 2005. The Olbermann.org archive has 2 segments posted by the network on that date, and 4 from June 30: http://www.olbermann.org/ko/index.cfm?g ... &ym=200507

Back then, the network was just beginning to experiment with posting little "tastes" to lure viewers, and didn't offer all segments regularly.

Also, when fans at first tried to put Countdown promos and segments and up on YouTube, NBC objected and they were taken down. As a consequence, some of my favorites are no more. But diehards have re-posted some!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

fabkiwi06

Postby fabkiwi06 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Is that why the clip of Keith reading the Daily Kos' Comic of BillO got yanked? I knew I should have saved that when I had the chance... it was epic.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 am

fabkiwi06 wrote:Is that why the clip of Keith reading the Daily Kos' Comic of BillO got yanked? I knew I should have saved that when I had the chance... it was epic.
Wasn't that Tom Tomorrow (This Modern World)? Or am I thinking of a different one?

The Village Voice

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

fabkiwi06

Postby fabkiwi06 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:37 pm

*gasp* It's like a second Christmas!

Thanks =)

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:45 pm

You're welcome, I'm glad it's the right one! :grin:

-Marie-

PoliticsCentralX

Postby PoliticsCentralX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Marie wrote:Wiki pinpoints the first Worst Person segment date as July 1, 2005.

Well, from Google searches, the websites Newsbusters and Democratic Underground tell me June 30, 2005. I also think I saw it on MSNBC.com somewhere as well describing it as "late June 2005".

Also, this is the Countdown transcript from July 1, 2005: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8485036/

First, day two of our new feature, COUNTDOWN's list of the nominees for today's “The Worst Person in the World. There's the New York state assemblyman Willis Stevens (ph). He was monitoring one of those on-line discussion groups, 300 of his constituents in the city of Brewster, when he decided to send an e-mail to one of his assistants. He hit the wrong button. Instead, he sent it to all 300 people in the group. The e-mail read, “Just watching the idiots pontificate.”

Number two, a hold-over from yesterday, a holdover. Robert Novak, still one of the worst people in the world.

And the winner—oh, it's Tom Cruise! And this has got nothing to do with Brooke Shields or psychiatry or the movie. He has another controversy running. Asked by the German tabloid “Bildt” if he believed in aliens, Cruise snapped at this guy, too. “Yes, of course. Are you really so arrogant as to believe we are alone in this universe?”

Maybe Tom is from another planet. Regardless, that does not disqualify you from being COUNTDOWN's “Worst Person in the World”!

Wikipedia is wrong. :P

PoliticsCentralX

Postby PoliticsCentralX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:04 pm

I found this in a search, but I can already tell it's fake. Just an image anyways. :-(

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:10 pm

PoliticsCentralX wrote:
Marie wrote:Wiki pinpoints the first Worst Person segment date as July 1, 2005.
Well, from Google searches, the websites Newsbusters and Democratic Underground tell me June 30, 2005. I also think I saw it on MSNBC.com somewhere as well describing it as "late June 2005".

Also, this is the Countdown transcript from July 1, 2005: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8485036/

First, day two of our new feature, COUNTDOWN's list of the nominees for today's “The Worst Person in the World. . . .
Thanks for the clarification. It's always good to have accurate information.

Hmm... it's one day's difference; my guess is, the wiki author looked at the transcript for June 30th and his eye went to where it says "Updated July 1, 2005," and that's what threw him. It happened to me the first few times I accessed a Countdown transcript via Google.

-Marie-

PoliticsCentralX

Postby PoliticsCentralX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:20 pm

I found the June 30, 2005 transcript on MSNBC.com and I don't believe it even has the Worst Person debut part. But this is the transcript from 6/30/05.

KEITH OLBERMANN: But first, a new feature debuting tonight, Countdown’s list of today`s top three new nominees for the “Worst Person in the World.” Number three, Alessandra Stanley, TV writer or critic or something, it`s hard to tell what, at the New York Times. As her latest article suggests, if she keeps passing off that many dubious opinions as anonymous facts, she may soon lose her situation.

Number two, Saddam Hussein. This is separate from the whole dictator thing. He has now threatened to sue the newspaper that first ran the photo of him in his underwear. As its headline today ran, "You and what army?"

And number one, Robert Novak. We still know what did you last summer. Well, summer before last summer. The “Worst Person in the World”!

Return to “2009”