Florida man exonerated

KO.O. Stuff from 2009
SusieQ
Site Admin

Florida man exonerated

Postby SusieQ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:33 am

Freed from prison after 35 years. How do you make up all those years lost for this man?? You don't, of course.

Bartow, Florida (CNN) -- After more than three decades in prison, a man in Florida was set free Thursday after a DNA test showed he did not kidnap and rape a 9-year-old boy in 1974.

"I'm not angry," James Bain, 54, told reporters after a brief hearing in Bartow, Florida.

Bain was 19 when he was convicted on charges of kidnapping, burglary and strong-arm rape. He received a life sentence. Now he will be allowed to go home for the first time in 35 years.

"I got God in my head," said Bain, surrounded by supporters and wearing a T-shirt with "Not Guilty" across the front. "I knew one day He will reveal me."

Of the 245 people in the United States who have been exonerated by DNA testing, none has spent more time behind bars than Bain, according to the Innocence Project, a national organization dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted people through DNA testing.

In 2001, Florida passed a statute allowing cases to be reopened for DNA testing. Bain submitted handwritten motions four times seeking such testing, but was denied each time. His fifth attempt was successful only after an appeals court ruled that he was entitled to a hearing.

On Thursday, state attorney Jerry Hill told the judge that DNA testing had excluded Bain from the crime.

"He's just not connected with this particular incident," Hill said.

"You are a free man," the judge told Bain.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/17/flo ... index.html
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

MrsData

Re: Florida man exonerated

Postby MrsData » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 am

I can't imagine losing all those years. Thank God for DNA and science.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Florida man exonerated

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Barry Scheck is a hero. He gives innocent prisoners hope and ends the psychological torture of those wrongfully imprisoned. The right hates him and his work because his success casts doubt on the certainty of all criminal convictions. But these hard-won successes remind everyone that the system can and (too frequently) does screw up, and that any time there's an innocent victim, whether as a result of a crime or a prosecution gone wrong, Justice needs to prevail.

Time for me to send them some money.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/about/

Thanks for posting this, Susie.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “2009”