Countdown 12/15/09

KO.O. Stuff from 2009
User avatar
terryballard
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Merrick, New York
Contact:

Re: Countdown 12/16/09

Postby terryballard » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Michael wrote:I became disgusted with Countdown and turned it off last night. When it hit the Tiger Woods segment and Lawrence was saying "we are way off in speculation here, there is no evidence Tiger used Performance enhancing drugs" and then kept harping, reiterating, defaming and slandering the poor guy.

There is no evidence Tiger Woods took performance enhancing drugs. Therefore it was NOT a story. It was NOT worth airtime. It was simply vile gossip.

And the piece before was a publicity plug for anti-health care reform! It was not newsworthy either, and was simply propaganda.

Countdown: YOU AREN'T HELPING!!!

I am sick of your pre-occupation with "the usual suspects". Your minute to minute coverage of what every ass at Fox news says. Tell me something new, dammit!!! I am watching the same show over and over and I am tired of wasting my time.

Thank you.


I feel your pain. Keith needs to:

1. Show up for work more than 1 or two days a week. My wife noticed that he's not missing his Sunday Night football show much.
2. Have a greater variety of guests on (hint: see Rachel for what can be done).
3. Ramp up the fun aspect of his show just a bit. I even miss the monthly Oddballathons.

I still watch it every night religiously, but tend to walk the dog if a substitute is on.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
The Grateful Dead

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31739
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: Countdown 12/16/09

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:26 pm

I just assumed he had traded a weeknight for Sundays off, because of the football show (which explains why he never misses that).

He's usually in the big chair otherwise -- barring the need to see his dad (as was the case last night) and an occasional vacation day (usually when the Yankees are playing).

Re the Tiger story last night, I was very glad to hear the guest make the point that there was no evidence of steroids. Unfortunately, to hear him say that, there had to be a segment about it. Tho I agree they could have wrapped it up more quickly.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31739
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: Countdown 12/16/09

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:48 am

Michael wrote:I disagree one has to do a segment to explain there is no basis for a story! THAT is the essence of the death by innuendo Fox does: "People have said" "It is alleged" etc. I think they called it breaking news about Tiger Woods. Actually it was a story about a doctor he had once seen.

And what about that non-health care protest where the chubby people sat in a room and drank soda all day? Why was that news?
I don't have an opinion about he last one because I missed it. But as to the Tiger story, remember the times Keith has said that he assumes people already have some knowledge of these stories when they turn on Countdown? So it wasn't like he was helping to spread the story. With someone of Tiger's stature it's going to show up in Google and Yahoo News headlines, and for those following the story -- or just concerned about the impact of steroids on sports -- it's not unimportant. In other words, I wouldn't equate it with Paris Hilton gossip.

My mom's a huge Tiger fan, so at least I'll know what she's talking about if she brings it up. Otherwise, I'd be totally out of the loop re the latest Tiger news because I have no motivation to look it up.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

User avatar
SusieQ
Site Admin
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Countdown 12/15/09

Postby SusieQ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:01 am

I have stepped away from watching Countdown for the last 4 shows. Partly because Keith wasn't on, but then last night, I had just had enough of all the conjecture about the health care bill.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt


Image

User avatar
terryballard
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Merrick, New York
Contact:

Re: Countdown 12/15/09

Postby terryballard » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:04 am

SusieQ wrote:I have stepped away from watching Countdown for the last 4 shows. Partly because Keith wasn't on, but then last night, I had just had enough of all the conjecture about the health care bill.


I don't blame you. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion...
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
The Grateful Dead

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31739
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: Countdown 12/15/09

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Michael wrote:
Marie wrote:But as to the Tiger story, remember the times Keith has said that he assumes people already have some knowledge of these stories when they turn on Countdown? So it wasn't like he was helping to spread the story. With someone of Tiger's stature it's going to show up in Google and Yahoo News headlines, and for those following the story -- or just concerned about the impact of steroids on sports -- it's not unimportant. In other words, I wouldn't equate it with Paris Hilton gossip.
That some porn star says Tiger Woods has a big dick is actually beneath and below Paris Hilton gossip. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/0 ... 81573.html . .
As shown, I was responding to your comments regarding Countdown's coverage of Tiger with regard to the steroids issue on this particular broadcast. I think sports fans want to know about that and it's also an issue that Keith cares very much about.

As for the rest, I'm with you -- but I'm afraid, as we compare with the national audience, we're in the minority on that.

All these decisions aren't Keith's, even though he's the putative editor of Countdown.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image


Return to “2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest