Lieberman won't rule out run as Republican in 2012

KO.O. Stuff from 2009
SusieQ
Site Admin

Lieberman won't rule out run as Republican in 2012

Postby SusieQ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:01 am

I really dislike this guy.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, a former Democrat who sits with Democratic caucus, said Tuesday that he would not rule out running for re-election in 2012 as a Republican.

Lieberman angered his colleagues in the Democratic caucus this week by threatening to torpedo health care legislation if it contains a government-run public health insurance or an expansion of Medicare.

Lieberman said he wasn't sure which party, if any, he would represent in his next election.

"I like being an independent, so that's definitely a possibility," the Connecticut senator said. "But I'd say all options are open."

He called running as a Republican "unlikely" but added that he wouldn't "foreclose any possibility."

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election," Lieberman said. "I think if you do that, you end up compromising the quality of your service."

In 2000, Lieberman was Al Gore's running mate when Democrats lost the closest presidential national election in U.S. history. Six years later, he was defeated in the Democratic primary and then ran as an independent to win re-election to the Senate.

Lieberman still sits with the Democratic caucus, which holds 60 seats in the 100-member Senate, the minimum amount necessary to overcome a filibuster.

That dynamic allowed Lieberman to assert his will in the health care debate by threatening to join a Republican filibuster if the health care bill contained the public option or Medicare expansion he opposes.

He acknowledged that his stance angered Democratic colleagues but said he acted on principle, not politics.

"I knew some of them were upset about positions I'd taken," Lieberman said. "But like each of them, I didn't get elected by telling my voters in Connecticut that I would follow the majority of my caucus even if I thought on some things they were wrong. We each have to do what we think is right."

Taking a stand in the polarized political environment means "a bunch of people will think you've done something great and a bunch of people will think you've done something awful," Lieberman said.

However, Lieberman's stance on the health care bill could prompt a backlash from liberal Democrats. He was criticized by liberal groups, and even his wife -- who formerly worked for a pharmaceutical company -- was targeted.

"I've done what I thought was right, but it's no fun to have your colleagues be angry at you," Lieberman said. "It's no fun to have your wife attacked. But, you know, you got to do what you think is right."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/15/ ... index.html
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Lieberman won't rule out run as Republican in 2012

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:08 pm

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Michael wrote:The Republicans might take him as a viable candidate, but he is just as crappy a Republican as he is a Democrat. Isn't he pro-choice? Would hard righties really embrace him? Are there a lot of Republican Jews?

He'd never make it past the 'Teabaggers' litmus test. [-(

:P
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:23 am

I went to lunch with a group of ladies the other day, who I know are mostly repubs. I am usually able to overlook this fact. This particular day though, one sat down and almost immediately said something so stupid that I literally lost my appetite. She said, and I am paraphrasing, "Since we think health insurance is a basic human right, then we should have food insurance too, cause don't we need food to survive?" It was truly a WTF moment for me. But then she said, "I just heard Glenn Beck say that on the radio on the way here." That's about where I gagged. I feel the need to explain how I am able to hang with women like this. I have lived in my area for almost 9 years now. When we first moved here, my youngest was starting 9th grade and all the people I seemed to meet were through her school activities. So I got to know them outside of the political forum. Politics never came up. Not until the 2004 elections. That's when I realized how republican some were. Not all. I grew up in the military and I think that helped me to have tolerance for differences, but it is beginning to wear thin, especially when someone says something so stupid. And I couldn't believe she actually listened to talk radio on the damned car radio. #-o
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “2009”