Matthew's offers apology

KO.O. Stuff from 2009
User avatar
SusieQ
Site Admin
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Virginia

Matthew's offers apology

Postby SusieQ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Looks like Chris' mouth got him into trouble again.


The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt


Image

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31871
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: Matthew's offers apology

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:27 pm

The right-wing bloggers made hay with that, beginning about 5 minutes after Chris said it. But that kind of thing doesn't matter like it used to, because you've probably noticed: they are, more and more, putting words in people's mouths that they didn't say.

The other day they had Jonathan Alter saying -- get this -- that it was unconscionable the way the LEFT was trashing Obama's plan for Afghanistan before it had a chance to work, when what Alter said was that it was unconscionable the way the RIGHT trashes anything Obama proposes, just on principle.

Likewise, they claimed Keith was all bent out of shape about the media ignoring the free clinics, citing a bogus Keith quote (righties specialize in attributing phony quotes to their most unfavorite people) that had him saying the clinics were "fully funded by THIS SHOW" -- when what he actually said was that they were fully funded by his VIEWERS.

When there's nothing to disagree with, they (as Keith says) just MAKE SHIT UP to disagree with. Because without somebody to demonize and oppose, righties are nothing.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

User avatar
ShinyCaterpie27
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:35 am
Location: Dreamland

Re: Matthew's offers apology

Postby ShinyCaterpie27 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:31 pm

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about a restaurant named "Matthew's" or something. I am somewhat dissapointed.

BTW: the singular possessive for that should be "Matthews'" not "Matthew's" because it ends in "S".
"When your own xenophobia shocks other FOX anchors, you have no place to go."- Joel McHale, The Soup Presents: Best Talk Show Moments

User avatar
SusieQ
Site Admin
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Matthew's offers apology

Postby SusieQ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:14 pm

ShinyCaterpie27 wrote:When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about a restaurant named "Matthew's" or something. I am somewhat dissapointed.

BTW: the singular possessive for that should be "Matthews'" not "Matthew's" because it ends in "S".



Thanks for the grammar lesson. :grin: And sorry to disappoint you. :-( (might want to check out something in your sentence as well......just saying)
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt


Image

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31871
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: Matthew's offers apology

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:33 pm

SusieQ wrote:(might want to check out something in your sentence as well......just saying)
Yeah, the period goes INSIDE the quotation mark!* [-X

-Marie-
*unless you're writing from Britain
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

Rich C
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Matthew's offers apology

Postby Rich C » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Actually it should not be possessive in the first place. Matthews is used as the Subject meaning he offers the apology. The mistake was putting the apostrophe and should read "Matthews offers apology"

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31871
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: Matthew's offers apology

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Rich C wrote:Actually it should not be possessive in the first place. Matthews is used as the Subject meaning he offers the apology. The mistake was putting the apostrophe and should read "Matthews offers apology"
I had the impression that part has been taken under advisement.

Can we get back to the topic -- which is basically Matthews (see?-- no possessive! :-) has to apologize for getting over-excited and shooting off his face all the time? (And how that provides fodder for RW bloggers who don't really care, they're just looking for stuff about MSNBC to jump on.)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

User avatar
ShinyCaterpie27
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:35 am
Location: Dreamland

Re: Matthew's offers apology

Postby ShinyCaterpie27 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Marie wrote:
Rich C wrote:Actually it should not be possessive in the first place. Matthews is used as the Subject meaning he offers the apology. The mistake was putting the apostrophe and should read "Matthews offers apology"
I had the impression that part has been taken under advisement.

Can we get back to the topic -- which is basically Matthews (see?-- no possessive! :-) has to apologize for getting over-excited and shooting off his face all the time? (And how that provides fodder for RW bloggers who don't really care, they're just looking for stuff about MSNBC to jump on.)

-Marie-


Nah, it's much more fun when it goes off-topic. :3

But anyway, it seems to me that the RW lives in it's own little world where they're the majority and people say stuff that they want them to say. At least that's my take on it.
"When your own xenophobia shocks other FOX anchors, you have no place to go."- Joel McHale, The Soup Presents: Best Talk Show Moments


Return to “2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests