English Flooding

KO.O. Stuff from 2009
WeReAllDoomed

Re: English Flooding

Postby WeReAllDoomed » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:43 am

That's right - we went there...we named a town Cockermouth! I live half a mile down the road from Cockburn Street (now that gonna hurt). Why give your towns sensible names like Columbus or Seattle when you can call them Chipping Sodbury or Wetwang?

Not as bad as the Austrians though...
Those are the headlines...god I wish they weren't.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:58 am

WeReAllDoomed wrote:That's right - we went there...we named a town Cockermouth! I live half a mile down the road from Cockburn Street (now that gonna hurt). Why give your towns sensible names like Columbus or Seattle when you can call them Chipping Sodbury or Wetwang?
Were they making fun of such place names in The Threepennny Opera when Macheath is saved from the gallows at the last possible moment -- "Reprieved!" -- and given a knighthood and a palace at Mucking-on-the-Creek?

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

WeReAllDoomed

Postby WeReAllDoomed » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Oh no - I've just realised those don't go to where I thought they would! Here's the Austrian one...
Those are the headlines...god I wish they weren't.

airliebird58

Postby airliebird58 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:34 pm

WeReAllDoomed wrote:That's right - we went there...we named a town Cockermouth! I live half a mile down the road from Cockburn Street (now that gonna hurt). Why give your towns sensible names like Columbus or Seattle when you can call them Chipping Sodbury or Wetwang?

Not as bad as the Austrians though...

Just saw this thread, we do have some strange names in the UK. Wetwang is actually pretty near to where I live so I can vouch for that one! We have a street here in city center that has a brilliant name, it's just called 'The Land of Green Ginger' :grin: Here's a couple of pics of it including a certain public house called 'The George' I have been known to frequent in the past!
Keep your knees loose....

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:26 pm

I want to go there.

Where I live is anything but picturesque.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

airliebird58

Postby airliebird58 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Marie wrote:I want to go there.

-Marie-

We only have nice bits in what is called the old town. Then we have bits that look a bit like Beirut!
Keep your knees loose....

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:19 pm

airliebird58 wrote:
Marie wrote:I want to go there.

-Marie-
We only have nice bits in what is called the old town. Then we have bits that look a bit like Beirut!
Beirut before the war, I hope!

-Marie-

Return to “2009”