Countdown 11/20

Keith Olbermann Stuff For 2008
Conditional_Id

Re: Countdown 11/20

Postby Conditional_Id » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Thank you, Marie.

After Watergate, I saw a slight shift in the empathy factor. However that was completely erased by Reagan.

When Rove welded a party together that had the tag "conservative", e.g. social conservative, fiscal conservative, southern conservative, you name it -- I knew we were in big trouble.

In particular the social conservative fundamentalists are big believers in the right of eminent domain. In other words, the Bible tells them it is okay for man to have dominion over all creatures of the earth, and of her resources. To people like this the words empathy and compassion mean little. Their motto is "the strong shall survive". It frightens me, truly, to think how very close we came to a religio-fascist dictatorship in this country, and even with Obama's election, we are still in many ways too close for comfort. BushCo continues to attempt to sneakily force through agendas that will hamper the workings of an Obama administration.

I have complete faith (odd for me, since I am not religious) in Obama and his "machine", and hope that much of the damage of the last 8 years can be turned back. We need to once again become a people with a heartbeat. We've been flatlined, with cold icy hands, for way too long.
There are cases where doubt is unreasonable, but there are others where it seems logically impossible. And there seems to be no clear boundary between them. LW/OC/454

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Yeah, "social Darwinism" (evolution and the Bible's demon offspring) has been pushed to the breaking point. There's no place people know they can go and find help any more. I miss the liberal era so much!

I saw a picture of Obama portrayed as FDR. Hopefully, the election has signaled the beginning of a liberal renaissance!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Conditional_Id

Postby Conditional_Id » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:09 pm

A liberal renaissance would be a welcome period for me. Seeing people in Grant Park like the night Obama won was a big deal, since the last time I was there was in 1968, protesting.

People have forgotten what it means to be "liberal". Now, it is some kind of dirty word. I can actually pinpoint the time, it was 1996, with the publication of "Doublespeak, Why No One Knows What Anyone's Saying Anymore" by William Lutz, when it became obvious to me that evasive, deceptive, self-contradictory, and misleading distortions of plain speak were now the common tools of Republican politicians, and that we had a public too dumbed down to care about the difference.

It took a great deal of courage for Keith and Rachel to expose the "LIE". I will never forget those episodes of their shows when the subject was broached, carefully, and finally things began to come down like the House of Cards they were thanks to their courage. In a world where "killing enemy soldiers" becomes a matter of "servicing the target", we have indeed separated ourselves from our humanity. As Lutz points out in his book: the bodies of the dead are "decommissioned agressor quantum".

We have a communications crisis still, but thanks to Countdown and the Rachel Maddow Show, there is a glimmer of sanity in the darkness, IMHO.
There are cases where doubt is unreasonable, but there are others where it seems logically impossible. And there seems to be no clear boundary between them. LW/OC/454

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Going back to Palin & the turkeys, this is from an Alaska paper:

AUDIENCES GOBBLE UP LATEST PALIN INTERVIEW
BACKFIRE: Camera catches slaughter of turkeys after governor's playful pardon.
By Sean Cockerham
Anchorage Daily News
November 22nd, 2008

It's being called "gobblegate," "the interview of death," and "Silence of the Turkeys." . . .
More: http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/597969.html

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:23 am

"Silence of the Turkeys" ...speaks volumes.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Return to “2008”