Keith's Special Comment on Proposition 8

Keith Olbermann Stuff For 2008
Karen'sKeithie

Keith's Special Comment on Proposition 8

Postby Karen'sKeithie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 pm

I will post this, although I'm pretty confident most everybody here has seen it. It is quite possibly, in my view, his most magnificent:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27650743/
"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals...These ideals still light the world and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
GOBAMA!!

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Keith's Special Comment on Proposition 8

Postby Marie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks for the link, Karen'sKeithie!

The only one I'd call superior to tonight's Special Comment would be his thoughts on habeas corpus. But this one was close to poetry -- his own, not just Omar Khayyam's!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

stretchdogg

Postby stretchdogg » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Special Comment has been reinvented. Point taken, KO. Touching read. Maybe it will get thru to someone.

I am utterly ashamed of the uneducated bigots of California who passed this proposition... in the very same election where Obama was swept into office in a landslide. go freaking figure.

FairAndOrBalanced

Postby FairAndOrBalanced » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:24 pm

The guy's good. And eloquent and he means what he says. Plus you know he's serious when at the end he doesn't greet Rachael.
So I guess we see he doesn't need the McCain/Obama campaign to keep the show alive.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:04 pm

I'd like to post an excerpt from a superbly written column --

ON WEDNESDAY, I didn’t go to class.

Part was a result of being slightly hung over from the previous night’s celebrations, but the larger part of that decision hinged on the fact that the verdict on Proposition 8 was still out and I honestly didn’t know how emotionally stable I would be when it was finalized, regardless of the outcome. So I stayed home and refreshed several news sites and kept CNN on almost all day, waiting for a break in the story.

Eventually, though it was not officially declared until Thursday, it became painfullly clear that we had lost. I don’t really remember the moment in which I accepted that fact, but I know that what surprised me the most was all the emotions I didn’t feel. I was angry and insulted and deeply, deeply saddened, but somehow it all still felt very stinted and surreal. I haven’t been able to articulate anything I’ve been feeling. Though there are the obvious reasons why I think this proposition is incredibly, incredibly wrong (not to mention, unconstitutional ), I’ve known since Tuesday that there is a feeling even deeper in my heart that makes this hurt on a level that I have never felt painbefore.

That brings me to tonight. I crawled in bed, prepared to get to sleep at a decent hour, and began flipping channels, when Keith Olbermann caught my attention. Normally, I don’t really watch Olbermann because I simply don’t have time, but I’ve always loved his Special Comments. Tonight took the cake. Luckily, I caught it just when he was starting and I began crying almost instantly. Eloquently, passionately, fervently and bravely, Olbermann said everything I didn’t even know I felt.

I have now watched that clip four times; it only first aired about two and a half hours ago. I cried on all four occasions and have no apologies. Thank you, Keith, for speaking for those without voices. Thank you for so accurately exclaiming that, “The other guy counts, too!”

-from "Why I'm Finally Crying"; balance of article here: http://community.feministing.com/2008/1 ... rying.html

If Keith ever wonders if his Comments change any minds, he can take comfort in the good he's doing putting the emotions of so many people into words, which has often proven the first step in enabling them to formulate a plan of action.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

tarasun

Postby tarasun » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 am

EVERYTHING about this is brilliant. Wish I had said...I am sharing with every one I know who does't listen...simply is the best...thank you, Keith

dasib01

Postby dasib01 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:24 am

I missed KO's show but TY for the link.

As a Californian native, it is abundantly clear that I temporarily live in the state whos litigious environment has yet to run it's course.

But KO's Special Comment was spot on.

I told my wife that it ain't over 'til the US Supreme Court rules. And the last 40 years of Constitutional law precedents are on the proponents side of this issue.

Holy crap, I actually know something Gov Palin doesn't-Supreme Court cases..lol

misslindagene

Postby misslindagene » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:17 am

Keith was at his magnificant best. Couldn't help but wonder if all that passion and emotion has something to do with someone in his life or the lack thereof.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:02 am

There is a very special someone in his life. Someone he sees across the breakfast table each morning. :-)

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:05 am

I doubt he's up that early.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:08 am

Well, you know what I mean. There's a lot of female energy around. :-)

-Marie-

misslindagene

Postby misslindagene » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Just wonder if he and Katy are still together!

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:01 pm

There's no reason to think that they aren't.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

misslindagene

Postby misslindagene » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:35 pm

this is true...would just love to read something about them.

Karen'sKeithie

Postby Karen'sKeithie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:35 pm

misslindagene wrote:Just wonder if he and Katy are still together!

If not, I'm available. :grin:
"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals...These ideals still light the world and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
GOBAMA!!

Return to “2008”