Blogging Countdown Specials

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2007 and Earlier
Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Blogging Countdown Specials

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:04 am

Lauralu wrote:Marie, I missed the donut offering, just heard about it through the forum. Do you have it? I'd love to see it. When is Mathews not rude? :roll:

And he keeps getting worse. Pops off with cuss words, for example, and has to apologize. I've seen him jump on people for not answering the question he put to them, when they chearly had -- just didn't answer the way he expected, so he didn't realize they'd added something valuable to the discussion! He's worse than prosecutorial sometimes. The mystery to me is why guests continue to volunteer for the abuse. They keep coming back, each time apparently expecting a different outcome from the last one!

MSNBC didn't choose to preserve the donut-spurning moment in a clip. I only have it on tape and I don't have Alber's knack of transforming recordings into videos.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:23 am

justme2 wrote:
Marie wrote:
Lauralu wrote:Marie, I do believe Mathews is diabetic and has been hospitalized for complications. Maybe Keith should bring some fresh veggies :P

I know he's a diabetic. I've never heard it reported that rudeness is a symptom of diabetes, though, so it doesn't explain why Matthews reacted thus to the gift, even if he wasn't able to use it.

In fact, if someone boo-boos with regard to a gift, you're supposed to respond with additional graciousness, not less. For all his knowledge, Matthews is an oaf, from my long observation. He doesn't treat colleagues with respect. So I'd prefer to see Keith not have to sit there with him all night if there were some other way for both of them to cover the event.

Well, to cut Tweety some slack, that was a fairly long day -- wasn't it about midnight Eastern when Keith signed off, and Matthews was on for a few hours longer? And it wasn't until well into the next day that the Senate was finally settled.

As for the donuts, it's likely that Keith was figuring Chris might need a bit of a glycemic boost -- many diabetics will carry along a candy bar or a bottle of sugared soda for that reason, if they go into a sudden bottoming-out, which is a risk if you're in a job where you can't eat at regular intervals (something I'm still trying to get used to).

That's exactly right, JM. Keith was leaving for the night and the treat was intended to help keep Chris going through the remainder of his shift. Perhaps Chris was already "bottoming out" at that point, and if that makes a diabetic crabby it could explain why he acted that way.
Or it could just be Chris being Chris. :LMAO

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:35 am

CapitalL wrote:When I heard Keith's compliment of Chris Matthews in one of the clips, it reminded me who has been the most professional between the two of them. I think Keith benefits from having a sportscasting background in this respect - good sportsmanship and all that.

Yes, and that's what's funny about my attitude toward the donut incident: Keith didn't appear to be offended, but I still am!

I've always admired the way Keith enjoys recounting of the good things his colleagues have done. Like they've given him something to live up to. He has dozens of those little stories and each time he tells one, it just makes him look taller in my eyes.

-Marie-

Alber1690

Postby Alber1690 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Marie wrote:
Lauralu wrote:Marie, I missed the donut offering, just heard about it through the forum. Do you have it? I'd love to see it. When is Mathews not rude? :roll:

And he keeps getting worse. Pops off with cuss words, for example, and has to apologize. I've seen him jump on people for not answering the question he put to them, when they chearly had -- just didn't answer the way he expected, so he didn't realize they'd added something valuable to the discussion! He's worse than prosecutorial sometimes. The mystery to me is why guests continue to volunteer for the abuse. They keep coming back, each time apparently expecting a different outcome from the last one!

MSNBC didn't choose to preserve the donut-spurning moment in a clip. I only have it on tape and I don't have Alber's knack of transforming recordings into videos.

-Marie-

Well, I record on my computer, using Vista's Media Center. Umm...how can we convert it to a digital copy... :-s
"Success fools people into thinking they can't lose" - Bill Gates

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:50 am

Alber1690 wrote:
Marie wrote:MSNBC didn't choose to preserve the donut-spurning moment in a clip. I only have it on tape and I don't have Alber's knack of transforming recordings into videos.

Well, I record on my computer, using Vista's Media Center. Umm...how can we convert it to a digital copy... :-s

Let's see... are there services which tranfer VHS to CD or DVD? Pretty sure. Maybe even do a direct conversion to a computer file.

Upon refection, I don't think that particular moment is one I'd want to post, though.

-Marie-

Alber1690

Postby Alber1690 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:14 pm

Michael wrote:Well Alber if you record it on your computer it already is a digital copy. :grin: Tell me about that vista feature--is it easy to use? I am looking for an excuse to buy Vista. :P

Haha...I was referring to converting Marie's VHS tape into a digital file. :grin: But about Vista's Media Center...it's great; it's one of my favorite features. I get to record TV, use the Media Guide, burn DVDs, sync to my Zune, upload videos to the web (basically a much more flexible Tivo). But, if you're planning to upgrade from XP to Vista, be prepared to handle some minor headaches. :-(

Marie wrote:
Alber1690 wrote:
Marie wrote:MSNBC didn't choose to preserve the donut-spurning moment in a clip. I only have it on tape and I don't have Alber's knack of transforming recordings into videos.

Let's see... are there services which tranfer VHS to CD or DVD? Pretty sure. Maybe even do a direct conversion to a computer file.

Upon refection, I don't think that particular moment is one I'd want to post, though.

-Marie-

Aww...is it that spicy? :wink: Well, if you have a computer with composite jacks, you could connect your VCR and use Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder to record and make a WMV. Or what computer model and manufacturer do you have?
"Success fools people into thinking they can't lose" - Bill Gates

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:55 pm

>Aww...is it that spicy?<

No, LOL, it was anything but spicy! I was thinking that a simple verbal account of what happened is sufficient, and less upsetting than watching it. It also occurs to me that the majority of the awkward moments I've seen on TV recently have all involved Chris Matthews and his 'tude. :roll:

Ooh, almost forgot, Alber -- thanks for the technical info. I shared it w/ my husband. One of these days we're going to get into that stuff. I know we're going to have a ball with it when we do!

-Marie-

justme2

Postby justme2 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Just found the donut offering -- it's at the tailend of the "Countdown" rundown of the events of Election Night 2006.

Crooks & Liars has the video [url=http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/11/08/olbermanns-run-down-of-memorable-election-night-moments/]here[/url].

I'm fortunate that my Type 2 is a fairly mild case and controlled with medication and a few minor diet modifications -- but I do get a bit cranky if it goes too long between meals (I like the South Beach bars for a quick pickup -- they seem to work the best for me). I think Chris is Type 1, which is far more tricky to manage.
"Mr. Bush, you do not own this country!" -- Keith Olbermann, 1/2/07

I support Pretty Bird Woman House

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Here it says Chris's is Type 2. http://www.diabetes.org/for-media/pr-pl ... 111907.jsp It was discovered after having long been suspected, according to the article.

Good research on the donut thing, JM! What they show doesn't look too bad, but not all that great, either: "Thank you. Thank you and GOODBYE." :roll:

-Marie-

justme2

Postby justme2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:13 pm

Marie wrote:Here it says Chris's is Type 2. http://www.diabetes.org/for-media/pr-pl ... 111907.jsp It was discovered after having long been suspected, according to the article.

Good research on the donut thing, JM! What they show doesn't look too bad, but not all that great, either: "Thank you. Thank you and GOODBYE." :roll:

-Marie-

For some reason I though Chris was Type 1 -- thanks for correcting my error. His may be a bit more severe than mine, and the stress of his job may aggravate it (my only stress is keeping the current first husband out of trouble :LMAO ).

justme2

Postby justme2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:10 pm

Repeat of "Oddball Plays of the Year"...we're likely not going to see Keith live till after New Year's. :cry:

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:51 am

I think it would have been more fun if MSNBC had scheduled a re-air of Best of Oddball on New Year's Eve -- and more inspiring, looking toward the new year, if they had shown the Special Comments retrospective again.

What they've chosen to air doesn't seem to match the occasion at all. However, ratings numbers consistently demonstrate the popularity of the doc blocks. Lots of eyeballs, for whatever reason. :?

-Marie-

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:00 pm

The Doc Blocks are horrible, but obviously have an audience. Seriously, people who run meth labs, beat their wives and screw their first cousin, need something to do when Cops isn't on. :P

ShadowCell

Postby ShadowCell » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:04 pm

When is COPS not on?

Sheesh.
Right-wing trolls who have tried to physically threaten me on the Internet: 3

oldladyinashoe

Postby oldladyinashoe » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:40 am

Oh, my. I think I'll be up half the night reading about Rudy and giggling. Wow. So do we want the Democratic candidate to run against him or not? When this comes out in the MSM, (oh please, let that happen), how could anyone lose? As my family is fond of saying, a trained monkey could win over this guy. Well, there goes the rest of my evening - oh, wait, it's almost over anyway. Well, some things can't wait.

Return to “2007”