Blogging Countdown 12/11 #1: Mr. Roboto On Stage

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2007 and Earlier
Trekkie

Blogging Countdown 12/11 #1: Mr. Roboto On Stage

Postby Trekkie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Former President Bill Clinton, campaigning for his wife in Iowa, was heckled by a university professor dressed as a robot. The man claimed he was supset about something Clinton had said about Sister Souljah...in 1992.

Meanwhile, sources tell Bloomberg News that President Clinton is "bouncing off the walls" over the "ineptitude" of her campaign.

Just 1% of people asked by the New York Times said that Oprah Winfrey's endorsement will sway their vote towards Barack Obama, while 44% say they would vote for Hillary Clinton because of her husband.

Dana Milbank joins Keith.
Tenth Doctor:
"I'm the Doctor and you're in the biggest Library in the universe. Look me up." - Forest Of The Dead

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - Blink

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Re: Blogging Countdown 12/11 #1: Mr. Roboto On Stage

Postby Slfriend79 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Former President Bill Clinton, campaigning for his wife in Iowa, was heckled by a university professor dressed as a robot. The man claimed he was upset about something Clinton had said about Sister Souljah...in 1992.

:LMAO

Meanwhile, sources tell Bloomberg News that President Clinton is "bouncing off the walls" over the "ineptitude" of her campaign.

Looks like Hillary might be losing it. :tear

Just 1% of people asked by the New York Times said that Oprah Winfrey's endorsement will sway their vote towards Barack Obama, while 44% say they would vote for Hillary Clinton because of her husband.

Great. ](*,)
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:42 am

Best moment tonight: Keith busting out laughing at Milbank recounting the story of Sargent Shriver on the campaign trail, stopping in at the steelworkers bar in Pittsburgh and ordering a Courvoisier!

Hope Alber puts that clip up!
(MSNBC didn't again. :? )

-Marie-

Alber1690

Postby Alber1690 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:21 am

Video's here. Enjoy.

"Success fools people into thinking they can't lose" - Bill Gates

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:30 am

Thanks! I went straight to the end of the interview -- such a great laugh!

[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/Lin-Mar/2nd1000/12-11-07laughing1.jpg[/img]

I think he broke up tonight, too!

-Marie-

Alber1690

Postby Alber1690 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:46 pm

You are very welcome. :)
"Success fools people into thinking they can't lose" - Bill Gates

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:32 am

And since I went straight to the ending, it took Media Matters to remind me of something that ticked me off at the beginning of the interview. Sometimes listening to "political analysts" who are having so much fun that they start getting out of control makes me want to tear my hair out, and if it hadn't been for Milbank's cute story and KO's laughter at the conclusion, I probably would have finished the show in a completely different mood.

But anyway, Dana did his best (which wasn't good enough) to respond to KO's perceptive question:

"And do we -- to some degree, is this true: Do we in the media manufacture crises in politics or exaggerate things into crises for the hell of it? I mean, are we doing this with Senator Clinton? Here Obama rolls out Oprah, and everybody goes, "Ooh, Oprah!" And nobody says, "What the hell is Oprah doing telling people how to vote?" This polling suggests she might increase Obama's base by a percentage point, and in one poll, nationally, Clinton still leads him 44 to 27.

"No offense on this, but is this like your paper noting that John Edwards' haircuts keep being brought up in the campaign -- and then in all four articles on him in the Post today, your own included, each of you guys brought up his haircut?"

For Dana's response, click here (or watch Alber's vid, above) http://mediamatters.org/items/200712130001?f=h_latest

Incidentally, the answers to your questions, Keith, are "Yes" and "Yes."

I call it being "Tumulty'd," after the reporter who invented the Al Gore "Love Story" canard, in order, she said, to make her narrative more "piquant." And then never corrected the record when the rest of the media utilized her yarn to beef up their own media reductionist image of Gore as an "exaggerator."

They gotta stop this. Keith needs to watch out for it and keep nailing them on it. Make them "Worst Persons" sometimes. Because on such journalistic flights of fancy whole elections can turn!

-Marie-

Iris

Postby Iris » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 am

...and some of the campaigns do this as well. Obama scribbling something when he was five years old was actually put up on Clinton's web site as a NEWS RELEASE. Then her surrogates made the rounds on all the talk shows claiming it was just a joke and blaming it all on the media. These politicians try to be clever and use the media. And they hope the American people are too dumb to notice. Kinda like planting a "dirty bomb" and then apologizing for it afterwards.

I would nominate Hillary's campaign as WPITW.

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 am

I doubt that'll happen Iris, but I agree. BTW, haven't seen you in a few! Missed you.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:22 pm

Then her surrogates made the rounds on all the talk shows claiming it was just a joke and blaming it all on the media.

I understand what you're saying, and it makes Keith's (and my) point.

In context, it -- the kindergarten comment -- WAS a joke. I mentioned this to my husband when the story first broke, surprised that the media were treating the comment as if it were unconnected to anything Obama had said, which of course it wasn't. If you follow the progression, Iris, Obama had just made a comment about how far back Clinton started thinking about being president (I believe it was 20 years?), and her campaign responded with the kindergarten comment, which was clearly humorously making the point that if you go back far enough in all the candidates lives, you can probably catch them thinking about it.

It was the PRESS that was, once again, disingenuous. They wouldn't grant that the Clinton campaign might employ humor, would they, because "we all know" that Clinton is cold, calculating, and humorless. That's EXACTLY what Keith meant when he asked that question of Milbank (and began it, don't forget, by saying, "Do we in the media manufacture crises in politics or exaggerate things into crises for the hell of it? I mean, are we doing this with Senator Clinton? . . .) I'm sure this was the example he was thinking of!

It's the media who have prepared all of us to interpret everything the candidates do in a way which fits the "narrative" that THE PRESS ITSELF has constructed for each candidate.

Yes, the candidates use the media -- but they do it in TWO ways: first, in the really obvious way we're all familiar with; but they're also learning to play on their rivals' MEDIA CREATED "narratives," in order to reinforce the negative aspects of those opponents' media reductionist images. Karen Tumulty's twisting the facts about Gore and Love Story, for example, was exploited out the window by Gore's opponents. This mutual exploitation been very detrimental to the process.

Keith gets it. (He's also guilty of it at times, but at least he understands what's going on!)

-Marie-

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:34 pm

Marie, you really know how to think things through. Spin, spin, spin until we are all so dizzy we don't know what to believe. That said, I still don't like Hillary, nothing to do with the Barrack comment at all, she just makes me want to put up my psychic
fence.

oldladyinashoe

Postby oldladyinashoe » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:50 pm

Lauralu wrote: BTW, haven't seen you in a few! Missed you.

Same here, Iris. Good to see you again.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Lauralu wrote:Marie, you really know how to think things through. Spin, spin, spin until we are all so dizzy we don't know what to believe.

Well, I've been watching these birds for a lot of years! They think we only watch the candidates, but anyone who isn't paying attention to the way the media talk ABOUT the candidates is putting himself at a serious disadvantage. I'm glad Keith took Milbank to task on that, because Dana was clearly enjoying himself way too much trashing Edwards for his haircut. (And it wasn't even imaginative -- just a reworking of the Bill Clinton "$200 haircut" media BS of long ago.)

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Karen Tumulty to apologize for what she did to Gore -- and resign.

-Marie-
PS, It's okay if you don't prefer Sen. Clinton or any of the others; I'm just trying to give all the candidates the same benefit of the doubt I'd want to be given if I were running and fools like the above were reporting about me -- and to make sure that I'm not unwittingly buying in to some suggestion that a reporter has planted in my subconscious. It's very easy to do!

Iris

Postby Iris » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Marie wrote:

It was the PRESS that was, once again, disingenuous. They wouldn't grant that the Clinton campaign might employ humor, would they, because "we all know" that Clinton is cold, calculating, and humorless.

If something is just a joke...you don't include it with serious press releases on your web site. She is cold and calculating. She is not Bill Clinton. She likes to vote with the republicans. I believe she will continue this war and who knows what she would do with Iran. I don't trust her. The media is not to blame for what her own campaign put out.

She will fracture the democratic party with these sleazy dirty bombs. Someone will win the nomination and if it's her...she will WANT and NEED the Obama supporters. She needs to stop pissing them off....

Iris

Postby Iris » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Lauralu wrote:I doubt that'll happen Iris, but I agree. BTW, haven't seen you in a few! Missed you.

Missed you too... :grin:

Return to “2007”