Get to know ShareBlue

Anything Progressive, Radio or Television: Rachel Maddow, Randi Rhodes, The Daily Show ,The Colbert Report, Real Time, Bill Maher
Marie
Certified Fan

Get to know ShareBlue

Postby Marie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:33 pm

ShareBlue is a progressive site which, along with its director's associated Twitter account has had an effect on the current presidential campaign surprisingly out of proportion to its relative obscurity in the array of political websites.

I'd like to post a representative photo and essay by Melissa McEwan which I find very moving --

Photo of Hillary Clinton by Barbara Kinney

I COULD WRITE an entire essay about why I love this photo. This very candid photo of a woman doing her job in an unspecial room, surrounded by scattered water bottles and the cords to various electronic devices and notices crudely taped to a wall.

This photo of an A student, immersed in her studies.

This photo of one of the most recognizable and admired women on the planet, sitting on a folding chair all on her own, in what has probably become a rare moment of quiet, so she can prepare to lead the free world.

This photo of a woman whose country has often been unfathomably cruel to her, doing her homework so that she can be prepared to be its leader, because she loves this country even when it doesn’t love her back, while its flag pokes into the frame from the corner, a symbol of the history, culture, industry, future of a great and struggling nation, stoically petitioning her from its perch above a dirty carpet in a small room.

This photo of diligent preparedness, demolishing ideas about voracious ego and ruthless ambition beneath a crumbling edifice of misogynist narratives about power-seeking women.

This photo of women’s work.

This photo of Hillary.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Get to know ShareBlue

Postby Marie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Once again I'd like to urge getting to know ShareBlue and esp. its director, Peter Daou. If you've admired Keith's determination to tell truth to power, you're sure to appreciate the quiet but straightforward observations of this eloquent man:

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/846523400424210432

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:10 pm

It's well known, but worth repeating:
Democratic policies are more compassionate, more humane, more fair, and thus more American than Republican policies. Period.
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/847052328859504640

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Good advice on surviving Twitter on this thread started by Peter:

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/862632645800456193

I esp. like the logical fallacy charts!

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue May 16, 2017 4:56 am

LOL, a poll --

VOTE

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

New Verrit fact-checking site hacked immed. after launch

Postby Marie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Hackers target fact-checking site after Clinton endorses it
By Richard Trenholm
cnet.com
9/3/2017

A POLITICAL FACT-CHECKING SITE has been hacked almost immediately after being endorsed by Hillary Clinton.

Clinton invited followers to sign up to Verrit on Sunday but within an hour of her tweet, a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack prevented the site from loading. It's now up and running again.

The site is aimed at "the 65.8 million," a reference to the higher number of US voters who picked Clinton in last year's Presidential Election over eventual winner Donald Trump.

Verrit describes itself as a source of political information and analysis that "collects and contextualizes noteworthy facts, stats, and quotes for politically engaged citizens." Political fact checking has become a hot topic amid the rise of "fake news," which refers to sources making up false news stories and spreading conspiracy theories. The Trump administration has also been accused of perpetuating what one press spokesperson described as "alternative facts."

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/hillary-cl ... fake-news/

Here's Peter Daou's Twitter thread about the experience: https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/904681661308260352

-Marie-

Return to “Progressive Media”