Al Jazeera May Be Buying Current TV

Anything Progressive, Radio or Television: Rachel Maddow, Randi Rhodes, The Daily Show ,The Colbert Report, Real Time, Bill Maher
Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Al Jazeera Is May Be Buying Current TV

Postby Marie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 am

proudliberal wrote:
Marie wrote:I think I saw your question on Twitter -- who do you tweet as?

I tweet as @PALiberal. Who do you tweet as? . . .

I deliberately didn't register on Twitter b/c I was worried I'd be tweeting all the time if I did!

I just stick to reading -- which takes up way too much of my time as it is, LOL. (Like you saw above, where I was monitoring responses to this new development. :-)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:43 am

proudliberal wrote:I don't think anyone knows for sure what's going to happen to the hosts on Current, but Jennifer Granholm has already announced that she's leaving. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the sale, but I think I read that she had only renewed her contract there for a few months.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Here's what Brian Stelter reported today:
Eliot Spitzer, Jennifer Granholm, Joy Behar and the other hosts on Current TV have no idea what comes next. On Wednesday, their television home was sold to Al Jazeera, which plans to remake Current into an international news channel with newscasts from New York and Al Jazeera’s headquarters in Doha, Qatar.

The hosts and their staffs haven’t been told what that means for them, however. Some of the employees may be absorbed into the new channel that Al Jazeera intends to start later this year. But layoffs are anticipated in the weeks ahead, according to people at the channel who spoke on condition of anonymity because they did not want to upset the new owners. Theoretically, Al Jazeera might want to keep at least some of the shows that Current carries, since it wants 60 percent of the programming on its new channel to come from the United States.

One of the hosts, Ms. Granholm, has already signaled that she is leaving the channel. Her contract to host the 6 and 9 p.m. program “The War Room” expired after the presidential election, and she renewed for just three months. “We’ll continue to broadcast ‘The War Room’ for the next few weeks through the transition, but after that I’ll be going back to teaching, speaking and other things,” she wrote on Facebook on Wednesday night.

Mr. Spitzer, who has hosted the 8 p.m. program “Viewpoint” since spring, declined to comment on whether he would consider staying if asked. For Mr. Spitzer, television is a way to fight for his point of view. But given his presumed political aspirations, he may hesitate to be associated with Al Jazeera.

Current has one show with a sitting politician, Gavin Newsom, the lieutenant governor of California. Mr. Newsom has not commented publicly about the sale. Nor has Ms. Behar, the comedian who was hired by Current last summer in a bid to draw more viewers to the low-rated channel.

The Web is an alternative outlet for at least one of the channel’s hosts, Cenk Uygur, who made a name for himself by co-founding a progressive talk show on the Internet, “The Young Turks,” before moving to television. He helms the 7 p.m. hour on Current.

“We will continue that TV show for at least another three months,” Mr. Uygur said on Twitter on Wednesday night. Then he linked to the YouTube page for his Internet talk show and said, “Here is where you can watch ‘The Young Turks’ no matter what happens.”

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... d=tw-share

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

CandyCanes

Postby CandyCanes » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 am

Well, looks like Keith was right after all. It really was bad management.

I regret those nine months I switched from MSNBC to Current, though. Even though Keith was on Current. Wish I'd stuck with Maddow or Lawrence.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 am

I watched both, since they have re-airs. However I can understand that a lot of people don't have the free time I do and had to make choices.

-Marie-

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Keith has been fielding Rwers giving him shit on Twitter about the deal without commenting on it.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 pm

John Dean tweets:
Hope @KeithOlbermann Had A Pay Day For His Equity Interest: NYTimes: Al Jazeera Seeks a U.S. Voice Where Gore Failed http://t.co/EatWxboK

That's a good thought: if Keith owned stock, he should get some $$$ off of this!

(Gore is said to be 100-million dollars richer behind the deal.)

-Marie-

proudliberal

Postby proudliberal » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Marie wrote:John Dean tweets:
Hope @KeithOlbermann Had A Pay Day For His Equity Interest: NYTimes: Al Jazeera Seeks a U.S. Voice Where Gore Failed http://t.co/EatWxboK

That's a good thought: if Keith owned stock, he should get some $$$ off of this!

(Gore is said to be 100-million dollars richer behind the deal.)

-Marie-

He'd better get his share of it! Gore and Darth Joel are in enough hot water with him already! :lol:
Necessity is the mother of invention. We don't know who the father is, because Necessity gets around alot.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Thank you, @LXena on Twitter, who just held this truth to be self-evident:
U know, if CURRENT would've just let Keith Olbermann actually BE the Chief News Officer, doubt they would've had 2 sell! #IDIOTS #missedopportunity @joelhyatt @algore

-Marie-

proudliberal

Postby proudliberal » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:58 am

Marie wrote:Thank you, @LXena on Twitter, who just held this truth to be self-evident:
U know, if CURRENT would've just let Keith Olbermann actually BE the Chief News Officer, doubt they would've had 2 sell! #IDIOTS #missedopportunity @joelhyatt @algore

-Marie-

Absolutely! =D> =D> =D>
Necessity is the mother of invention. We don't know who the father is, because Necessity gets around alot.

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 am

Current TV Staffers Reportedly Angry That ‘Bullsh*tter’ Al Gore Sold Out To ‘Big Oil’

by Meenal Vamburkar | 12:22 pm, January 8th, 2013

Current TV’s sale to Al Jazeera has sparked a variety of opinions — and according to a New York Post report, many of the network’s staffers are not pleased with the buyer. Given that Al Gore is known for his environmental activism, the reaction to Gore selling Current to a network back by “big oil” was apparently not pleasant.

While the first meeting with Al Jazeera was not contentious, the report cites anonymous staffers who characterized it as miserable. Gore, himself, was said not to be present.

“Of course Al didn’t show up,” said one high placed Current staffer. “He has no credibility.

“He’s supposed to be the face of clean energy and just sold [the channel] to very big oil, the emir of Qatar! Current never even took big oil advertising—and Al Gore, that bulls***ter sells to the emir?”

Some other angry quotes from the article included:

“We all know now that Al Gore is nothing but a bulls***ter,” said the staffer bluntly.
[...]
“Al was always lecturing us about green. He kept his word about green all right—as in cold, hard cash!”

Oof.

The Post remarked that some of the staff is “still in denial,” and some are skeptical of Al Jazeera’s “inform, inspire and entertain!” message.

(h/t NY Post)

http://www.mediaite.com/online/current- ... o-big-oil/
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am

Current TV Staffers Reportedly Angry That ‘Bullsh*tter’ Al Gore Sold Out To ‘Big Oil’

While it wouldn't surprise me if staffers felt this way (and what the hell TOOK THEM SO LONG TO CATCH ON???), I'd stop short of citing the Murdoch Post as a credible source on anything that Keith was ever connected with. Mediaite should have been a little cautious to cite them, maybe looked for a different source.

-Marie-

proudliberal

Postby proudliberal » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Marie wrote:

While it wouldn't surprise me if staffers felt this way (and what the hell TOOK THEM SO LONG TO CATCH ON???), I'd stop short of citing the Murdoch Post as a credible source on anything that Keith was ever connected with. Mediaite should have been a little cautious to cite them, maybe looked for a different source.

-Marie-

I agree on all counts, especially about the staffers! After all, they should have been questioning Gore's and Darth Joel's honesty after they screwed Keith out of his job as Chief News Officer!

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 am

They may dislike Gore and Al Jazeera, but claiming that he sold out to Big Oil is a bit of a stretch. Just because Al Jazeera is in Qatar? I wonder how many of those staffers have ever even watched anything on Al Jazeera... :-s
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Postby BrooklynBilly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am

dejapig wrote:They may dislike Gore and Al Jazeera, but claiming that he sold out to Big Oil is a bit of a stretch. Just because Al Jazeera is in Qatar? I wonder how many of those staffers have ever even watched anything on Al Jazeera... :-s

The Qatari government which gets most of it's revenue from oil sales owns Al Jazeera. I've seen Al Jazeera when traveling outside the US and I think they do a very good job of international news reporting.
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:
dejapig wrote:They may dislike Gore and Al Jazeera, but claiming that he sold out to Big Oil is a bit of a stretch. Just because Al Jazeera is in Qatar? I wonder how many of those staffers have ever even watched anything on Al Jazeera... :-s

The Qatari government which gets most of it's revenue from oil sales owns Al Jazeera. I've seen Al Jazeera when traveling outside the US and I think they do a very good job of international news reporting.

I've lived in Doha, Qatar, and I'm familiar with the Qatari govt, oil (and gas) revenue and Al Jazeera, located at the TV Roundabout. :lol:

I agree that they do a good job of international news reporting. That's why I think it's silly to blame Big Oil for having the money to buy a TV station. Where do we think all that money came from?

*cough* oil demand in the US *cough* :-s
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Return to “Progressive Media”